IB Exposure Fee

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by mastacoli71, May 29, 2014.

1. risknav

risknav

Yes, it was not clear from my post but when I say “exposure” I do mean “excess exposure” based on my Net Liquation Value.

Thanks. The fee however, at least for equity and there indexes are based on a -30/+20 theoretical move. Do you or anyone else know how commodities, interest rates, and FX for that matter are treated? I’m referring to the futures and FOPs of these, not the ETF shares (if applicable) which are included in the equity (-30/+20) calculation.

#261     Aug 28, 2014
  2. Extraordinarily surprised that this language appears to have passed review by legal.
    Perhaps the situation is different in the US, but in the EU this language comes far too close to creating a contract of insurance indemnifying the account holder from losses in excess of either the available capital or 427,954.62 in return for consideration of $3.03 daily.

Any account holder with a non professional MiFID classification / dealing as a consumer would be in a stronger position re these terms. It is certainly not made clear enough to the account holder that they are being charged a fee to fund protection for the broker not their account (unless IB is going to the market for insurance for the customer which doesn't seem to be the case). Very misleading language for non securities lawyers.

I don't clear IB any more - has anyone based in EU received similar messages? Probably will never be an issue for futures e.g. NQ, but could see a margined stock carried overnight causing a debit balance and this language may affect ability of IB to recover the debit. Astonishing. This language ought to be reviewed to make it clear to the account holder that these new conditions do not give them any additional protection and that losses may exceed their deposit.

(yes, there are all sorts of technicalities about whether this email supersedes the existing contract, which terms take precedence, etc. but in my view it creates an undesirable grey area. A court may side with the person who has paid consideration. If the clause was found to be void IB could be liable to repay customers the total it has charged in that member state for the prior 6 years.)

#262     Nov 18, 2014
  3. Gldr

Gldr

The whole exposure fee issue is a mess. You cannot calculate the impact in account mngt most of the time and there is no realtime impact available aither. The amounts are charged in a random way. If IB really wants customers to manage risk, they should make a tool that helps them, not something that no one understands and only cost money.

#263     Nov 19, 2014
  4. ALSO.. HAS ANYONE FIGURED OUT HOW THE HELL WILL YOU DO YOUR TAXES. .WHERE R U GOING TO ALLOCATE THIS AMOUNT . .IT IS GOING TO BE A FREAKING ACCOUNTING NIGHTMARE.

#264     Nov 19, 2014
  5. GTS

GTS

My solution was to simply reduce my trading with IB so that I am never charged the fee.

#265     Nov 19, 2014
  6. sprstpd

sprstpd

If you are classified as a trader, it is just a business expense.

#266     Nov 19, 2014
  7. lassic

lassic

IB losses $120 million, we pay for it...

NOTICE OF EXPOSURE FEE INCREASE

As an account holder currently or previously subject to Interactive Brokers High Risk Account Exposure Fee, you are receiving this communication to inform you of a scheduled increase in the fee.

This increase is scheduled to be implemented in a series of daily increments over the two week period beginning as of the close of business January 26, 2015 and concluding February 6, 2015 and when complete, will result in a doubling of the fee. Note that this change will have no impact upon the manner in which exposure is calculated, only the fee associated with that exposure. As example, an account reporting $100 million of uncollateralized exposure and subject to a daily activity fee of $10,000 today, would be subject to a daily fee of $20,000 were that same exposure to be reported effective February 6th.

Clients seeking to minimize or avoid this fee in its entirety may do so by adding additional funds and/or adjusting their portfolio to reduce its projected exposure. We recommend the use of the Risk Navigator application with TWS as a tool for calculating and managing exposure as it allows for “what-if” position changes to simulate the resultant impact upon exposure.

Interactive Brokers Risk Management

#267     Jan 23, 2015
    d08 likes this.
  8. roblon

roblon

Yes, I also just got this message. I am getting a little disgusted at this. There are better ways to manage client risk then a blanket "exposure fee". Why should I pay for IB's mistakes in letting CHF forex traders overleverage. I am actively looking to move all or a portion of my funds at IB to another broker.

#268     Jan 23, 2015
  9. Gldr

Gldr

Another example of unacceptable behavior. They basically inform you of the fee increase close to the closing of the market, the day before the increase will be implemented. Totally unacceptable behavior. Time to change, because this makes me worry about the financial situation of IB. If you get very user unfriendly, and only focused on increased income, there are probably close to the financial edge...... Better leave them alone and bring mu money to a more secure broker.

#269     Jan 23, 2015
  10. Have they still not published the methodology for the fee?

#270     Jan 23, 2015