I told you guys...closing positions for a loss is for fools.

Discussion in 'Options' started by wxytrader, Mar 8, 2024.

1. I bought a CLSK Mar8 18 put a few days ago, and it was down and over $4 ITM, and I was down over $1200 on the trade. Did I close it? Did I have stops in place? No way. Today it was OTM and I closed for .05. THIS is why I never close a trade for a loss. :)

The funny part is when I sold the puts I could see that the price was going to tank lol but I sold them anyway.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

You're just applying hindsight to the situation and thinking you actually did something right. If all losing trades eventually came back and made us look like geniuses, that would be awesome, but unfortunately it just doesn't work like that.

3. That's exactly how it works. The reason traders lose money is because they lose money.

Actually I was applying foresight that the trade would likely go against me, but I know I have numbers and stats on my side so I went for it anyway.

4. Zwaen

Zwaen

Opportunity loss. Psychological “sunk costs”. It’s better to have a view of constantly moving funds to the most appreciating asset given a timeframe.

comagnum, Axon, billv and 3 others like this.
  5. I almost completely forgot about the trade. Honestly, the best trades are the ones you don't even know you made money on.

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

" ... likely go against me ... know I have numbers and stats on my side ..." :confused:

billv, zghorner and murray t turtle like this.
  7. %%
    LOL that could work with a stainless steel investment, but even regular steel will rust into nothing;
    dont try that @ home trade =you are a BlowUp wanting for chance to happen.
    The funny part is some believe their own BS until it happens LOL.
    That is funny , but painful for you when\ [not if] it happens :caution::caution:

Axon and billv like this.
  8. I've run the numbers for the worst case scenario and it doesn't matter. What made this one funny is I was almost trying to lose money but the market wouldn't let me lol. I mean it tried but I ignored it...you guys would have folded.

9. Quanto

Quanto

Ie. "The Do-Nothing Risk Management Method™" of mine was posted on Feb 12, 2024 :)
    I since then updated it a little bit: sometimes adding some cheap OTM LongPuts for $0.05 Premium :) turns it to a spread trade that cuts (caps) losses. I apply it when an high-impact event is expected to happen...
    Of course meaning ShortSelling, and later adding OTM LongPut when it becomes dirt cheap (due to time-decay).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    wxytrader likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

#10     Mar 8, 2024
    Arnie Guitar, tomi01, billv and 6 others like this.