I Know Absolutely Nothing About Day Trading...Where Should I Start?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by clclark007, May 17, 2012.

1. jnbadger

jnbadger

Let a daytrade turn into an investment, and wait for it to come back? How'd that work out for folks in Bear Stearns? They may be waiting a while for that one to come back, and that was truly "Investment Grade" material.

This is not trading advice. OP, please don't listen to this shit. He is telling you how to make the occasional dollar, while putting you at the risk of bankruptcy because of one bad trade which you didn't have the discipline to get out of when you knew you were wrong.

#71     May 24, 2012
  2. you have as much chance to be a millionaire daytrader as a starting point guard for the NY Knicks!

#72     May 24, 2012
  3. Handle123

Handle123

I have learned much about myself and those who I have mentored through the years. One can't teach the way I trade, stopped trying to do that long ago, asking them the right questions, spending huge amounts of time with them, always listening to what they are saying, rereading their emails tells me what is going on in their lives helps me understand their personalities. I have found there are two types of students, those who work extremely hard at it and they succeed and those who is constantly slack off as time goes by. It is one thing to just teach a system, it is different to teach how to trade, couple of signals but a ton of nuances. Just cause there might be a signal, cause of Price action dictates no signal or to go to breakeven faster or use less than normal risk. Many many little things to remember and to do it quickly. Most get so nervous before and during a trade, it is like deer in headlites, they can't even think what is the next step.

Not all methods can be traded by all people. You have to look within to discover who one is, some are good at accumulating knowledge and others can only retain a few rules. You have to figure this out when one is learning.

A good mentor will certainly help you in learning curve, but none can promise success, and find one willing to take their fee out your future profits if you succeed, but never upfront. (and I am not taking any more).

#73     May 24, 2012
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

Kinda sounds like it would be based on the honor system, but I like the idea.

And I like the rest of your post. As I make the transition back to manual trading, I know it would be impossible to teach how comfortable I am when I take some of my trades. And it would also be impossible to teach how I have to sift through a few hundred scanner signals before I take one.

I am fascinated by the book "Market Mind Games". I am only about 15% of the way through it, but the premise is that there is a huge gap between where the mathematical analysis ends, and where elite performance begins. That gap consists of experience and judgement and intuition. I am far from closing that gap, but if I ever do, I don't think I could ever teach how I did it.

#74     May 24, 2012
  5. Paddler

Paddler

A big YES. Just telling you from my conscience. No offense. :)

I confess that Jack is an asshole making his writing very difficult to comprehend. But, please, don't be a spoon-fed kid passively waiting for others to do the homework so that you can copy the correct answers. And we have here a long series of homework from the asshole. If you feel uncomfortable, look for something else you can handle with ease.

There are many ways to trade profitably. For example, Jack said edges and probability are non-sense in trading. I disagree.

HTH.

#75     May 24, 2012
  6. So do you make 3X or 6X the ES daily range?

You know, it is possible to both understand and mock Hershey's trading ideas. It's not just the language he uses, it's what he says with that language that is so ludicrous.

#76     May 24, 2012
  7. Paddler

Paddler

You feel offended by his writing? What for? Think of him as an asshole will help a bit. :D

#77     May 24, 2012
  8. no offense taken. don't really care about what he says really. never thought he was an asshole. just a crazed loony.

don't like being spoon fed, literally and figuratively. old school. I work for my A's. no copying. can do homework until I get a mini-stroke. happened to me twice. freaking scary. don't work that hard anymore.

instead of copping out, show the power of Jack's trading wisdom. back up the ludicrous claims of Jack.

#78     May 24, 2012
  9. Paddler

Paddler

You be your own judge. I have no interest to prove anything or help anyone.

If you are as good as you said, I suggest you read "The Taylor Trading Techniques" by George Douglass Taylor or "Mind Over Markets" by James Dalton. They are some smart ass out there can understand and profit from them.

#79     May 25, 2012
  10. ammo

ammo

learn to chart by hand using market profile, these are the hi'lows starting with the bar on left of chart,..on the bottom right there is a hand drawn chart that stops at letter h...a 18-19..b 18-20...c18-21...d20-23...e 22-29...f 26-29...g 25-29..h 25-27....i24-26..j25-27..k..31-26...

#80     May 25, 2012