How does someone get the capital required to turn trading into a business?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cornholio, Mar 22, 2014.

1. brad10

brad10

Wow...you really don't get it at all.

#61     Mar 27, 2014
  2. why talk in abstracts

#62     Mar 27, 2014
  3. No I don't sorry. Can't I ask a simple question? Not everyone has all these connections like you you know...:(

#63     Mar 27, 2014
  4. Seven Mills Investment - Recruiting

Envrironment for Trading

Seven Mills Investment is currently seeking an experienced discretionary trader and an algorithmic trader (experience with trading systems /algorithmic trading with track record of researching, back testing, optimising and trading signals).

Positions based in the UK. For a lucrative opportunity, operating remote or in-house, please see our specifications. If this sounds like you, we welcome your application.
    The profile:

3+ years experience in currency or futures markets
    Must have a proven track record of profitable trading and revenue generation for last 2 years
    Must have strong knowledge of risk management controls and practices
    Ability to adhere to the risk parameters established by the firm
    Ability to work independently and to build constructive working relationships with colleagues.

We offer:

Challenging full time position with real possibilities of professional development and growth.
    Attractive remuneration according to the candidate's experience with a competitive base and strong % of your P&L

Please apply if you'd like to seize this opportunity

#64     Mar 27, 2014
  5. About>Contact :)

#65     Mar 27, 2014
  6. isnt working
    Edit: working now, thanks

#66     Mar 27, 2014
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You've mentioned foreign firms a few times. Therefore, I will assume you're located outside of North America.

The foreign firms looking for "discretionary traders" are few between and the type of "discretionary traders" they're interested in have already had prior work experience with another firm/institution.

My point, usually profitable "discretionary traders" that are consistently profitable for a minimum of a few years rarely seek a position at a firm. I only say this because I have a few personal friends (not internet buddies) in Europe that are profitable discretionary traders and they have tried the firm thingy to only quit and go back to trading their own capital due to what I refer to as "loss of freedom" (too many restrictions) on their trading style after being hired.

I guess its all good because they can now use the experience and include it on their resume if they were to decide at a later date to try working for someone else instead of working for themselves.

Why did they try the firm/institutional trading thing?

It was really personal reasons. For example, one of them only did it because his pregnant wife put pressure on him to get a more "professional job" as she refer to it and wanted him to have more job security with benefits. In my opinion, it was more about here emotional needs (security) and less about him.

P.S. These guys are also highly educated and had worked professionally prior to becoming traders.

#67     Mar 28, 2014
  8. Thanks a lot cornholio.

I quit a professional firm few years back, have regretted it ever since.
    The kind of facilities and work environment you get are simply not the same.

Plus all the other firms are very hard to get into, cause the best ones generally hire freshers and train them, or you need to be profitable every month .

Thanks cornholio, keep em coming :D. applied to both the firms.

#68     Mar 28, 2014
  9. peleus

peleus

Someone has done this already. But I think they just won't share how they did this but it would be nice to see someone posting about this though. [​IMG]

#69     Oct 24, 2014
  10. Turveyd

Turveyd

Phones wise :-

Sony Z Ultra 6.4", tough and water proof, fast, great screen and if you can still find 1, CHEAP!!

Also Ipad mini 3G/4G, that's my work horse, only use the Z Ultra when I need something more portable.

I'm doing it the hard way, turning $700 into $20,000 then I'll be able to live off it, just hit 10K but sadly heading the wrong way again, so back down to $700 I think then have a good run at the 20K this time LOL

Looked into TooStep, sounds like a con to me, no rich friends or family, don't want to be tied down with someone elses money anyway, what if they pull it, fall out with them, bla bla bla, min interaction with people the better, there all NUTS!!

#70     Oct 24, 2014