How Common Are Really Large Successful Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Fundlord, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Fundlord

Fundlord

Ok maybe I shouldn't have used the term retail trader.

From now on "individual investors" guys who trade on their own behalf and take all the profits. They can have whatever qualifications/special id/seat/office etc They just have to work for themselves, trade their own money and take all the profits.

#51     Nov 28, 2015
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Now things gets more interesting because it opens the door. Although still not common but more traders will qualify such as former hedge fund managers that walked (quit) away with big fat bonus with severance packages in the multi-million dollar range along with the fact they've already made millions...accumulating such.

Some of them then decide to trade their own capital...very successful at such while putting on some very big trades but they tend to trade markets that the typical retail trader like you and I do not trade (e.g. derivatives).

They also keep very private about their trade performance. Simply, if they're putting on trades greater than 10 million...they ain't gonna to talk about it and they have access to resources you and I do not have access to along with still using their network (contacts) to benefit financially from.

#52     Nov 28, 2015
  3. DDR

DDR

From all my contact with pro traders as limited as this is, they have all stressed as a priority to pay much attention to risk management and to never bet big.

I don't doubt that some retail or pro traders have had massive wins but have also heard they give it back due to the psychological factors that follow a large win. The exception to this would be a seasoned trader that has already gone through this and learnt that lesson.

As home traders we want to believe the big win stories because this can reinforce our own belief that we can do it. But this is not substantial enough to simply read some thing online.
    With out hard evidence it's only a story. The only proof that can be relied on is if an independent tax audit has been carried out on that traders activity and only if you yourself have initiated it.

But this is never done by the reader and never offered by the trader.

The other thing the pro trader told me is to not look outward for trading success, it all has comes from you. This will only come after the years and hard work are completed.

#53     Nov 28, 2015
    Xela, Cswim63 and wrbtrader like this.
  4. Trader22

Trader22

There are some rags to riches stories, but they are very, very rare.

#54     Nov 28, 2015
    lawrence-lugar likes this.
  5. Trader22

Trader22

I know of 2 retail traders that trade large positions, but not 10s of millions. One trades 250k on option swing trades and the other trades much larger than that (500k-2M)

#55     Nov 28, 2015
    kinggyppo likes this.
  6. Trader22

Trader22

LOLOL

#56     Nov 28, 2015
  7. Xela

Xela

They're also barely relevant. These are typically stories that involve a lot of luck, I think (whether the luck's apparent in the story or not).

Absolutely. The professional's focus is invariably on risk-management. Many retail traders are chasing profit-maximization at the expense of risk-management.

#57     Nov 29, 2015
    777 likes this.
  8. d08

d08

Direct access CFD brokers don't offer leverage similar to prop shops (1 to 20 and up), the other types of CFD brokers are just bucket shops designed to eat your profits through big spreads.

#58     Nov 29, 2015
  9. Q3D

Q3D

One can understand the retail trader's apparent need to increase an equity curve. Do you believe that retail trading as a sole source of income is impossible, therefore one should just focus on managing risk?

Multi-million dollar day trader Don Miller writes books, mentors, and says on Youtube he runs an outside business away from trading for sustainable income, while also having a CME membership. Therefore if expert day trader Don Miller requires multiple sources for "sustainable income" while being an extremely profitable day trader, no one can provide a [large] sole and sustainable source of income from day trading over a multi-decade period.

#59     Nov 29, 2015
    Xela likes this.
  10. d08

d08

Just because this "Don Miller" once was a good trader doesn't mean he still is.
    I've had trading as my sole income for 6 years, so it's doable. Don't expect to raise a family and live comfortably starting with $25k though but if you're extremely thrifty and can minimize expenses then it's possible to start with that. The only way is to build up equity to the point where living expenses aren't a big part of your account anymore.

#60     Nov 29, 2015
    TreeFrogTrader and Cswim63 like this.