How can we ignore specific threads?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by GiantDog, Mar 16, 2015.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

BSAM,

That's not the issue. The issue is that we have someone on ignore so that we don't have to read their crap. In contrast, the new forum design changed. Now we can see their threads even though we don't know its their threads.

We then click on the thread (not knowing its someone on our ignore list) and read commentary (replies to the thread starter) that doesn't make any sense until one of the replies contains a quote by the thread starter.

Once again, we don't want to read those on our ignore list but the ignore list is not working properly. In addition, those on our ignore list can send private messages to us.

What's the purpose of the ignore list if its not working properly ?

Maybe its a glitch just for a few user names considering a similar like issue had happen a few years ago ?

Anyways, I'm sure Baron can fix the problem so that the ignore list was like it was before in the old forum design. I really don't want folks on my ignore list being able to contact me nor do I want to click on a thread to only find out after reading some strange replies by others (those not on my ignore list) that the thread is actually started by someone on my ignore list.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    #11     Apr 6, 2015
  2. BSAM

BSAM

Brother Mark...
    That is the whole issue.
    There is no purpose to "ignore".

You are a good poster around here.
    You always demonstrate great discipline in your postings; providing clear explanations, etc.
    Thus, I can't understand why you can't control your desire to not read posts that you say you don't want to read.
    It's like you lose all your discipline at that point.

I enjoy reading your trading posts.
    But, brother Mark...You are way off base on this one.

Just my opinion.

#12     Apr 6, 2015
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Update -

I've now isolated the "glitch" in the new forum design of our ignore list.

If I read the home (forum) page...I can see all threads by those on my ignore list even though I don't know which threads is started by which person on my ignore list. If those same people on my ignore list start a new thread...I can still see those threads.

In contrast, if I go directly into the sub-forum section (not the home page) such as the "Automated Trading"...I can not see the threads of those that's on my ignore list.

Essentially the glitch is isolated to the home page only and not to the sub-forums.

#13     Apr 6, 2015
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You still don't get it.

I'm NOT reading the individual post of people on my ignore list. In contrast, if they start a new thread...I don't know its their new thread...there's no user name attached to the new thread. I can then click on the thread an see the conversation in the thread. I then leave the thread after realizing I'm reading a thread by someone that's on my ignore list.

Hopefully that makes sense to you because you keep replying as if I know its their thread. I do not know its the thread of someone on my ignore list.

Here's an analogy via Baron himself. He often states that he will not edit a big thread to remove commentary by someone that's problematic. Baron's reason for not editing is that it makes the replies that's remaining (after deletion of the problematic replies) not make any sense.

For example of a strange thread...Trader A is on my ignore list and Trader B is not on my ignore list:

New Thread called "Eurex Dax Traders" and the following replies occurs in the thread with Trader A making the first commentary (its his thread).

Trader A to Trader B: How are you doing today you idiot ?

Trader B replies: Stop calling me names.
    ----------

Now the thread title lures me to the thread and I don't know Trader A has started the thread. I then click on the thread and can see the following message (I don't know he's replying to someone because I can't see that other person...someone on my ignore list)...

Trader B: Stop calling me names.
    ---------

My point is that I only see a message by someone that looks like he's talking to himself. Thus, I can read messages by those NOT on my ignore list that makes them look like they are having a conversation with themselves whereas I can not view messages by those on my ignore list.

This is what Baron has specifically stated to be his reason for not editing threads because he doesn't want that to happen. In reality, that's exactly what is occurring via the glitch.

The glitch is making threads look like ET has a bunch of members with psychological problems...members talking to themselves when in reality they are talking to someone (I don't know who specifically because I'm unable to see the ignored person messages) that's on my ignore list. :D

You now should be able to understand that I'm not reading the messages by someone that's on my ignore list. In contrast, I'm reading the messages by those not on my ignore list that have responded to those on my ignore list. The prior forum version was not doing this because the prior forum version did not show the threads of those on my ignore list. Thus, I didn't "accidentally" read their threads.

P.S. If you still don't understand the ignore function isn't working properly...no biggie. Its a glitch that seems to be impacting "new" threads. I'm sure Baron will fix it soon. In contrast, old threads that I know was participated by someone on my ignore list...I don't revisit those threads.

#14     Apr 6, 2015
  5. BSAM

BSAM

So, no ignore function, no problem.
    Just keep skipping over the parts you don't want to read.
    It's what I do.
    No problems.

#15     Apr 6, 2015
  6. GiantDog

GiantDog

Yes, it is a problem when you put someone on ignore and still see threads they start and start to read one not knowing they started the thread. Read what wrbtrader has written about 10 times and you might get it. Good luck.

#16     Apr 6, 2015
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Hey GiantDog, I've been "gettin' it" since 1999.
    Reread my excellent advice I've given in this thread and YOU MIGHT GET IT.
    Good luck.

#17     Apr 6, 2015
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I'll work on fixing the homepage so that threads from ignored users don't show up. But even if you do stumble across one in the meantime, then I recommend you just click the back button for time being and move on to reading another thread as BSAM suggested.

#18     Apr 7, 2015
  9. GiantDog

GiantDog

Gee whiz BSAM, no need to yell. I can't see how you can take the pressure of trading if this one tiny thread is getting you to yell at people. ;)

#19     Apr 7, 2015
    dbphoenix likes this.
  10. BSAM

BSAM

LOL
    Brother Giant, if you're gonna steal my lines, at least give a brother some credit.

#20     Apr 7, 2015