Fully automated futures trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by globalarbtrader, Feb 11, 2015.

1. I now put both alternatives (start from zero, start from optimal rounded) to a broad range of tests with different portfolios, time frames and capital.

Some qualitative observations:

Zero has more leeway to put on large instruments that get selected in the first few iterations and reduce the tracking error by a big chunk. Because of that it looks a little bit more diversified than rounded in the individual positions but overall there is not much difference in performance. I would consider them as equals on a long backtest. Rounded has about 10% higher costs but makes that up by a little bit lower volatility. In general it undershoots the risk target more than zero. In position selection rounded tends to track the smaller sized instruments more exactly and therefore looks a little bit less diversivied.

I also tested different shrinkage methods on the correlation and covariance matrices. On the full backtest the differences are neglible.

Now to the ugly part: All these differences can make a huge difference in the shortterm. You may end up with completely different performance for something like 2 years. I did not expect so much sensitivity of shrinkage methods, shadows costs, cost buffer or the search algorithms. It could be quite a frustrating experience if you have an unlucky combination running. But I guess a trend follower is kind of used to that.

Average tracking error itself is a pretty useless measure in absolute terms. It does not reflect closeness to the whole portfolio.

When in doubt do everything? As a little gimmick version I added up the positions of both search methods and divided by 2 (rounding up). It actually is the best version by a small margin and hits the risk target best.

#4121     Apr 24, 2024
    newbunch and Kernfusion like this.
  2. How do you deal with the possibility of power or Internet outages while away?

#4122     Apr 25, 2024
    toucan likes this.
  3. Spacious

Spacious

Power supply with network redundancy (cellular connection as exemple) or cloud based with AWS or other provider

#4123     Apr 25, 2024
    Kernfusion likes this.
  4. Shrug my shoulders, noting that if all my trades were delayed for 2 weeks in my backtest it would lead to a loss of 3bp a year in SR, or basically nothing over 2 weeks

Rob

#4124     Apr 26, 2024
  5. wopr

wopr

I've just started the effort of being a bit smarter about my forecast weights, so went back and re-read the handcrafting series and a few other related blog posts.
    Regarding the above, so if I understood correctly, the differences in forecast weights for instruments within the same asset class are entirely due to the SR adjustment and re-weighting to 1 after expensive rules are removed?
    Is the SR adjustment done on an instrument basis, or an entire group (asset class in this case)?

#4125     Apr 26, 2024
  6. SR measured across entire asset class

Rob

#4126     Apr 26, 2024
    wopr likes this.
  7. wopr

wopr

Hm, in that case I don't really see where the (small) differences in forecast weights for instruments in the same asset class come from. Eg. SP500 and NASDAQ, same asset class, both really cheap to trade, have some different weights.

#4127     Apr 26, 2024
  8. wopr

wopr

Rob, I've been working through pysystemtrade code for calculating net returns for optimization, stumbled upon gross returns adjustment for SR costs, here https://github.com/robcarver17/pysy...136b501d6d514549e2cf/sysquant/returns.py#L174

Shouldn't that line
    Code:
    net_returns = daily_gross_returns_for_column + daily_returns_cost_as_ts
    be subtracting instead of adding?
    I tried to trace back the call stack thinking that you might be passing in costs as negative, but I don't think that's the case. Would make sense to subtract costs from gross returns to get the net returns.

Thanks!

Spacious likes this.
  9. No you are right, I do have costs as negative returns by convention elsewhere, but the SR costs are positive.

I don't use SR costs any more hence why I didn't spot this. Fixed in develop branch.

Rob

wopr likes this.
  10. wopr

wopr

Is that on your local branch somewhere?
    Looking at the code, both master and develop branches, I see that when estimating weights, ultimately pandl_for_instrument_forecast() is called, this one https://github.com/robcarver17/pysy...2cf/systems/accounts/account_forecast.py#L150, which does use SR costs for calculating net returns later used in returnsPreProcessor.