frustrating Friday

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Eddiemorra, Aug 22, 2015.

1. barcadia

barcadia

shut it, loser!

#11     Aug 22, 2015
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Wrong...

I give no hindsight trading advice at this forum nor any advice here at this forum to tell you when to buy or sell. Therefore, you must have me confused with someone else. In contrast, you have asked for such type of advice and have always and consistently got replies like my prior message post...something you've consistently ignored.

In contrast, I talk a ton about the psychological aspects of trading and I identify those that should not be trading.

Simply, please get your facts correct and review my posting history here. Here's the direct link to my posting history for verification just in case you have difficulty with the facts @ http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index.php?search/2197888/

As a reminder, it was other ET members that first told you to stop...I chimed in later in agreement with their assessment about you especially when you posted all those hindsight charts or hindsight trade info.

P.S. Check out my replies about ET not suitable for mentoring and strategy sharing. You can also review my messages to you at this forum...not trading advice given to you or others beyond what I've stated above...

Don't use TA alone. It's not suitable for such...doesn't work. Simply, make sure you have a complete trading plan prior to using TA or PA.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    #12     Aug 22, 2015
    eurusdzn likes this.
  3. trades were based on price action. support becoming resistance, trendline breaks etc

what trades should have been taken and why, wwatson?

#13     Aug 22, 2015
  4. obviously one could have made a killing it they knew it was going to crash :)
    But it's different in realtime when you don't know what's going to happen unfortunately

#14     Aug 22, 2015
  5. using macd as your edge would have given something like this

• ds.jpg
      ds.jpg
      File size:
      101.7 KB
      Views:
    #15     Aug 22, 2015
  6. Mtrader

Mtrader

Exactly!

What you write is wrong.
    The problem is that nobody knows in advance that it will crash. At the opening I had to go long 2012.75.
    After we made a top about 40 minutes later the trend switched to short 2017. And then it stayed short till the close. So I just followed my system: stay short till the system tells you to go long.
    Did not follow my system and closed at 1978.75. Should have closed at 1973.25 according to the system.

I think it is logical that in the downwards move the trend would stay short. But I had no idea that it would go so deep. But that is not important. Follow your system that's all that counts. And if your system is good you will take a big chunk of the move. Almost no stress and result proved again that the system is not so bad. More confidence and less stress for the next trade.
    Friday was the best day for many months.

#16     Aug 22, 2015
    JefeTrader likes this.
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

If yesterday was just a rare type of trading day for you...I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, that's a hindsight chart showing the complete trading day. Your charts didn't look that way as each trade occurred.

My point, if you want others to help you...try posting several charts that shows exactly what your chart looked like as each trade occurred. You'll be surprised about the impact of charts on your psychological and price action analysis as it occurs in real-time versus hindsight signal at the end of the day when the emotions are completely different.

Note: Obviously you can't do that now because Friday is over and the 1min chart interval upon completion (hindsight) were not the same as when you actually took the trade because when you took the trade...the entry interval was still forming (not completed).

Seriously, just try it. The next trading day you have...take a quick screen capture of the chart you're using a few moments after each trade. Next, compare it to your hindsight chart at the end of the day especially those trades that occurs earlier in your trading day...trades that often have a psychological impact on your trade decisions for the remainder of the day.

Just be careful about asking hindsight questions because those giving you trade advise will be hindsight answers due to the nature of your questions.

Confusing - You begin this thread via a price action chart along with stating you use price action, trendlines, support/resistance but later you post another chart of the same price action with a MACD indicator along with tagging the word MACD with the word EDGE.

Out of curiosity, at what time in the trading day did you realize it was a downtrend ?

After that point of assessment about the trend or type of price action environment you were trading within...did you make any adjustments in your trade method (e.g. entry, exit, profit target, position size, discipline, risk management, chart adjustments ?

P.S. The above suggestion (real-time chart capture for your own personal trading notes) and question is psychological in nature. Thus, no trade advice.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    #17     Aug 22, 2015
  8. carrer

carrer

The MACD edge looks very good. But can you explain your rules?
    Because from what I could see, you are not taking all the trades/signals.

#18     Aug 22, 2015
  9. Sounds like you don't worry about support/resistance/patterns/trendlines/pricea action etc?
    Basically more of an MA crossover method?
    Don't you get killed on non-trending days?
    regards

#19     Aug 22, 2015
  10. wrb - the red vertical line in the OP is about the time It looked like we were in a down trend to my eyes. (about 2 hours after the open)

macd chart is just for comparison. Maybe things like support and resistance and trendlines and priceaction just comlpicate things and don't actually help and on is maybe better off just chasing the market with moving averages or something similar...

regarding hindisight questions - If I ask a foresight question about the market direction, nobody would answer me for fear of being wrong! :)

#20     Aug 22, 2015