Feedback on Futures/FX trading build with 4K 40" monitor (i5 6600K, 32gb RAM, 256gb M.2 SSD)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Loukas, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Loukas

Loukas

3x 32" pivoted ... hmmm :)
    I agree it would be overkill. But so much screen real-estate!!

Must resist....

Actually, I am already running Dell's 3415w and it's a great monitor. Combined with the Philips will be more than sufficient I think.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    #11     Dec 1, 2015
  2. Loukas

Loukas

Thanks for your comments DOM. I've priced up a 6-core 5820K processor with similar components, maybe you can give me your comments.

Ninjatrader 8 is multicore-multithread on the live charts as well, in addition to the backtesting / optimization therefore a 6-core computer will probably be faster in live trading as well. I will need to look into the data freezing issue, if it continues on the new machine.

I read good reviews on the Noctua D14 cooler, I will consider it.

Thanks for your feedback.

#12     Dec 1, 2015
  3. Loukas

Loukas

So I've put together a 6-core build using the 5820K processor, after confirming that Ninjatrader 8 is multicore - multithread in live charts as well as backtesting / optimization.

Remaining components are very similar. I've changed the case (looks nicer & quieter?) and was considering beefing up the power supply for possibly a more demanding CPU. To be honest, this is getting over the initial budget I had in mind, however I don't mind spending something extra for a powerful work system for the next 3-4 years.

What do you guys think?

CPU - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard - Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory - Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Storage
    • Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
    • Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card

Case - Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply - EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive - Samsung SH-224FB/RSMS DVD/CD Writer

Total: €1871.60

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    #13     Dec 1, 2015
  4. xandman

xandman

Not to argue your point. If I recall correctly, you were an electrical engineer by training.

However, have you tried running your optimizations with HT on/off at the motherboard level? I'll take your word for it if you tell me you found a noticeable difference. (Some % performance numbers would be nice.)

#14     Dec 1, 2015
  5. wartrace

wartrace

Go for the I7 processor; everything else can be upgraded at a later date without trouble. Swapping cpu's is the most difficult upgrade in my experience.

Love the large 4k idea. I am currently using a variety of monitors (4) and I often miss things I should see. I just ordered this one from Amazon.....

The Amazon reviews are mixed but on other sites people seem to be happy with them. Hard to pass up @ 659.00 and free shipping.

#15     Dec 3, 2015
  6. IamaMars

IamaMars

"As I will not be playing games, I chose the GTX 960 graphics card with 3x displayport ports to drive the 4K monitor(s)." but your card is really for the games of 2015 I would say, no less. I can tell you Radeons from 2010/2011 have even 6 - 2 DVI and 4 display ports.

#16     Jun 30, 2019