Failing traders: the merits of pursuing poker instead

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by applejuice, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Pigsky

Pigsky

I always notice that "failing trader" such a bad stigma. People take it so serious like failing as a trader is worse than failing at anything else.

I always wonder why but now have figure it out.

In trading everything is on you. If you don't make it then you were not good enough at it. Or if you got snake-oiled, you were not smart enough to see thru the skam sooner. Either way. It is YOUR FAULT. You have to own up to failure.

But in other areas, you can blame other things. Ask failed entrepreneur why they fail and they have lots of other options to blame it on. They can say bad economy, or changing consumer spending habits, or competition from bigbox Walmart stores, or other local businesses in operation for many more years and have taken all the loyal customers, or rising costs of supplies, or business partners screwing things up............... Same with careers you can say the corporation had bad practices, boss was an ass, customers were crappy, etc. Not saying any of those listed reasons are not valid..... they may be valid. But the point is in other area you have opportunity to rationalize that failure is not your fault... which can make things easier on the ego.

#41     Mar 11, 2015
  2. Suppose the flip side to that coin is, if you make millions, you have only your own genius to thank. Ego boost and then some?

I agree with sentiment of your post but I think traders can and do come up with endless excuses for failure - often blaming algos, in my experience.

#42     Mar 12, 2015