EUR/CHF wipeout/margin call ... negative balance ... what to do?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Pentaquark, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Ok, I take your word for it. Over the years, I have never come across that many excessively foreign sounding FX players on forums. They were mostly american and some western europeans. Depending on the forum, there may also be a population of indians, whose interest was mainly in spamming website links.

Anyway, I think CHF is showing reversal at places. I missed an opening in CHF/ZAR. I get an urge to chase it.

A really funny kicker in all of this is CHF could be going back to the pre-de-peg levels. The markets often get a kick out of this kind of insults.

#231     Jan 25, 2015
  2. samuel11

samuel11

Correct.

"In 2014, 41.5% of FXCM’s business by volume came from Asia; followed by 35.9% from Europe, the Middle East and Africa; 13% from the U.S., and 9.6% from the rest of the world, according to its website, which adds that the company boasts content and advertising in 180 countries and 16 languages."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/fxcm-to...od=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection&autologin=y

#232     Jan 25, 2015
  3. benwm

benwm

Not just third world. Aren't their tales of Japanese housewives shorting yen and buying high yielding currencies such as Auzzie dollar for the carry? Google "Mrs Watanabe". Of course, shorting the low yielding (or negative in the case of CHF) currencies in favour of slightly higher yielding currencies is exactly the type of retail fx play that is royally screwed by the SNB actions. Especially since in order to make any sort of dough you need to leverage it to the max. Since every currency is now low yielding, maybe the "carry trade" is not so prevalent as it was a few years ago, or perhaps the smaller yield differential just tempts some to increase position size in order to earn the same return that they could have pre-2008.

#233     Jan 25, 2015
  4. OK, I might accept that as true. But FX is rapidly maturing into "fair" exchanges, no more rip off dealing desks and genuine regulated security; so that, for me, I'd recommend FX Spot over FX Futures for superior Risk Management.

Now, don't be so quick to point out the Swiss "peg debacle" and say there's higher Risk as a counter example. What I mean is that in typical day to day trading, ability to control exposure is 100 times superior to FX Futures. And I think the FX trading venues are mature enough to justify folks moving away from Futures in currencies and over to FX spot. IMHO. But until it's pushed by CNBC people will gravitate to Stocks and Futures instead.

HyperScalper

#234     Jan 25, 2015
  5. Turveyd

Turveyd

Looks like FXCM have increased there Margin requirement, last week I had 2 Larger ( 120 ) GBPAUD trades on the go, my account is higher and today I tried to take a 2nd position with smaller ( 70 ) and got told not enough margin.

Not surprised after last week, reduces there risk a bit forcing everyone to have smaller positions, but ruins my day, it moved well :(

Blows withdrawing the account back to what's needed, it's already there :(

#235     Jan 26, 2015
  6. The urge was strong in me, and I got a free runner out of it. Break even + 10 stop is on and the trade has positive carry. I win every which way.

[​IMG]

#236     Jan 26, 2015
  7. Was cheese one of the 100?

#237     Jan 27, 2015
  8. OMG!

You trade based on MA's??? That is really hightech! Now I see why you are one of the toptraders. LOL.
    Is this how you saw the prepositioning too? ROFLMAO!

#238     Jan 27, 2015
    lucysparabola likes this.
  9. I've tried to tell you all. EJ's pedigree, math skills, and superior logic trump everyone on this site. All hope is lost.

#239     Jan 27, 2015
    samuel11 likes this.
  10. Yes, my secret is out. You have got me good and square.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    #240     Jan 27, 2015