ES performance vs NQ and YM today

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by hajimow, Apr 16, 2024.

1. hajimow

hajimow

Usually, I can calculate daily ES gain or loss by adding YM and NQ gain and loss and dividing it by 2 and this is almost accurate in 95% of the time. Today oil is flat or down a little and NQ and YM are both up about 0.2% but ES is down. what is going on?

2. hajimow

hajimow

Well, I believe it is one of those days that the rule does not apply.

3. 2rosy

2rosy

what's the thinking behind your "rule" and why should it hold?

p0box4 and murray t turtle like this.
  4. These correlations come and go.

The obvious answer should be that some components in SPX is putting a weight on that index.

Doesn't look too out of whack today to me, though.

But I'm no expert.

CALLumbus and murray t turtle like this.
  5. The differential gain/loss is heavily traded. Since the CME gives a 70% margin discount on the correlation, this trade is highly leveraged.

Remember, if there is a strong correlation among leverageable assets, in this case NDX and SPX, then you can either trade the outperformance of the tech index with a long/short position in NQ vs ES, or you can overweight the SPX and hedge out some vol by shorting the correlated NDX futures.

A high degree of correlation can be used to trade an outperforming asset, and if inversely weighted, the more volatile asset can be used to hedge exposure to the underperformer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  6. %%
    ONE public profit YM [intraday] trader put on quite a few public profit YM trades, elitrader.com.
    He did diverge from Merriam Webster's idea+ had a great quote.
    One trader asked ''dont you ever look @ oil?
    He said ''No , YM is correlated to itself'':D:D

Laissez Faire likes this.
  7. hajimow

hajimow

It was my long term observation which was true 95% of the time. My reasoning was that DOW is less volatile than Nasdaq and S&P is something between. So if DOW is up 0.5% and Nasdaq is up 1.5%, usually S&P is up 1% (95% of the time this theory is true).

murray t turtle likes this.
  8. SunTrader

SunTrader

Did you carry the 4?

9. hajimow

hajimow

huh? !!

10. hajimow

hajimow

Back to normal

upload_2024-4-16_22-21-14.png

#10     Apr 17, 2024