ES is manipulated?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by hurricane_sh, Jun 21, 2016.

1. If I had the money, I may give it a try. For now, just my wild guess, lol.

#11     Jun 22, 2016
  2. Xela

Xela

Damn ... there's always a catch ...

It's a British, working class political reformer in the mid-19th Century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartism

#12     Jun 22, 2016
    K-Pia likes this.
  3. Don't fear manipulation, welcome it! The easiest price movement to read is that which is being manipulated, once you learn how, of course! The attached is a perfect example of a manipulated stock.
    Something as big as an index futures contract could not be manipulated for as long a time. But short intraday runs can be.

• m.JPG
      m.JPG
      File size:
      132.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    #13     Jun 22, 2016
    callmepaul likes this.
  4. For the most part, prices can be manipulated only when the volume is low. (We've all heard of "pump and dump" in penny stocks.) Except in perhaps rare cases like the famous "flash crash"... and not sure even that qualifies... the ES is too big to be manipulated for much... would take HUGE* money during RTH with no assurance of success.

* to manipulate the ES for 1 point would take about $250 MILLION. (After hours is a lesser story, but still. There are almost always ~1000 contracts within 1 point of the current price.) I can recall when the ES first started trading. The entire DOM overnight might be 20 contracts total or less Bid/Offered. That's when the prices could have been manipulated.

You really shouldn't concern yourself with the ES possibly being "manipulated".

#14     Jun 22, 2016
  5. That's a valid point, which is why the bulk of gains in the S&P 500 occur via overnight moves...

#15     Jun 22, 2016
  6. speedo

speedo

Don't know if it's manipulated and don't care. I find it to be a good instrument to trade. The only thing I know for sure is, I sure as hell can't manipulate it.

#16     Jun 22, 2016
  7. Simples

Simples

You're all in on it!

#17     Jun 22, 2016
  8. Don't understatement the trend followers, you show the muscle, you get more followers than enemies.

#18     Jun 22, 2016
  9. qxr1011

qxr1011

who cares...especially outside trading hours

manipulated markets or not - TA still works

imho smartness of the trader reflected not in his predictions (he should not do them imho), but in how well his method works

#19     Jun 22, 2016
  10. TradeCat

TradeCat

Isn't the ES's underlying the SPX?

#20     Jun 22, 2016