Ernie Chan claims that statistical arbitrage is better than momentum like trend

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by GloriaBrown, Aug 2, 2013.

1. "I" is the operative word...

#31     Aug 9, 2013
  2. It would be wonderful if acrary can see this post and join the discussion.

#32     Aug 9, 2013
  3. I suspect you are correct.

While I like his ideas, I think the tracking that he assumes will hold, is not stable enough to run successfully.

#33     Aug 10, 2013
  4. Sergio77

Sergio77

Thanks for the examples.

#34     Aug 10, 2013
  5. nitro

nitro

Not if you trade instruments that have some sort of spread margin. In that case, it would be something like two to three "naked' futures, not twelve.

#35     Aug 10, 2013
  6. There are e-micro futures.

#36     Aug 10, 2013
  7. Sergio77

Sergio77

Ernie Chan is doing institutional trading, big money. This is the reason he is looking at statarb. Retail traders do not qualify other than a few exceptions. There are better blogs for retail traders with very good analysis. Here are two I follow and their methodology is more suitable for the "small guy":

http://quantifiableedges.blogspot.gr/
    http://www.priceactionlab.com/Blog/

#37     Aug 11, 2013
  8. For all Ernie Chan has mentioned, it is possible for retail trader to do it with E-micro futures, it is just the statarb stats part maths are much harder and more steps than average momentum way.

#38     Aug 12, 2013
  9. If your not living in US = Singapore, pls dont throw my face... The questions you've asked are quite stupid, after going thru the entire thread here.

Here you are asking abt stat arb and there you are wondering about currency risk or comms trade or backtest platform questions. Pls read up on how to hedge currency risk or to get those 30c per trade brokers and backtest platforms.

On your stat arb qns, stat arb is just a general term to strategies that can make money thru statistics, after 300-500 trades everyday for eg. It can be easily done by exploring various asset classes, by playing around with them.

You were asking that u dunno how to design a stat arb for backtesting, what asset class to chose. U are basically like the 95%, just wanting to find out easy ways to make moeny without using "Research" mind of urs. Fyi, there are tons of easy to arbs stocks that are curently being mispriced and in the mean time, im extracting alots of alpha from them :). Think LTCM.

The book said 6 months, i say if youhave a good software, research such as backtest on historical prices would easily show u if it is arb-able, how ? Perhaps u need another 5-10 yrs of trading to understand this. Add that and read up more Maths & Quant stuff.

Find out my posts here and on hwz forums this very same nick. TQVM

#39     Oct 7, 2013
  10. No, these two can be comparable if we only consider these two factors:
    statistical arbitrage should be more "safe"
    statistical arbitrage has higher winning %

but

momentum like trend may has a home run kind of win sometimes while statistical arbitrage doesn't suppose to surprisingly win big at all in a single trade.

#40     Nov 18, 2013