'Doomsday': Singapore renters sound the alarm as prices surge

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ironchef, Apr 12, 2024.

1. ironchef

ironchef

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. VicBee

VicBee

Yup, we've been dealing with a rent gouging frenzy since right at the end of COVID. Foreigner prices are significantly higher than Singaporeans... We started out at US$4500 and when our lease expired last year our rent went up 45%. The owner wanted +85%. The good news is that prices are coming down some. Our lease is up in July and we're going to try for a 20% reduction.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  3. Picaso

Picaso

Try buying a car :D (in Singapore)

4. Picaso

Picaso

If I may ask, what's your % tax on capital gains? AFAIK, you need to be making at least hundreds of thousands per year trading for it to be worth it (quality of life, personal circumstances and other considerations aside, just from a tax savings vs. cost of living perspective).

My plan is to move there if/when I grow my account from 6 to 7 figures.

5. d08

d08

Why in the world would you do that? It's a city state. You move your corporate entity there if you're a large business but as an individual it makes no sense. Even Malaysia makes more sense, you can live near the border with Singapore if you want.

6. VicBee

VicBee

The cost of living here is quite high, although salaries are commensurate. As a retiree you're better off in Malaysia or Bali or Thailand where cost of living are much lower.
    No tax on capital gains, although that doesn't matter as an American.

SimpleMeLike and Picaso like this.
  7. %%
    LOL OK;
    And looks like MCD Big Mac is better deal worth singing about in Singapore than HI:caution::caution:
    Repeat, Singapore maybe better singing about , than HI= LOL:D:D

ironchef likes this.
  8. maxinger

maxinger

upload_2024-4-16_7-47-45.jpeg

Doomsday

----->

Doomsday + Money from the sky

If you have the property, it is money from the sky.
    If you have to rent the property, it is doomsday.

murray t turtle and VicBee like this.
  9. VicBee

VicBee

Surprisingly, Americans buying a property in Singapore don't have to pay a 12% stamp duty. With prices for 800 sqft selling at a couple mil, it's significant.

murray t turtle and maxinger like this.
  10. LacesOut

LacesOut

I don’t believe foreigners can own property in Singapore. Land lease at best

#10     Apr 16, 2024