"Don't Defrag SSD In Widows" Wisdom is WRONG!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Turveyd

Turveyd

Yeah they write level, so don't use the same ram more than rhey have to, so they wear out all at the same time.

You can wipe and write to a block 10,000 times maybe more before it fails thats a lot.

Year on mine is reporting 100% all fine, paid £80 for a 240gb, guess there cheaper not looked recently.

#21     Jan 21, 2015
  2. There was a 2 or 3 year test of constant reads and writes. An Intel X25-V (40GB) had written 1.6PB (that's 40,000 write cycles) and was still going when they abandoned the test. Newer SSDs likely not that durable, but another test had all writing 600TB before the 1st one failed.. and that was the 840 EVO, as expected.

Bottom Line.... consumers are unlikely to "wear out" their SSD, regardless.... even with occasional defragging.

(My oldest SSDs have been running daily for 5 1/2 years. Intel Toolbox still shows "100%" life left.... they will probably outlive me. Oh, and I do defrag.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    #22     Jan 21, 2015
  3. Alternative suggestion....

Clone your SSD to another SSD periodically (daily, if it makes you feel better). Then if your rig SSD fails or gets corrupted, just plug in the updated clone and keep rolling. Depending upon how much stuff is on your drive, you can clone in 2 minutes or so with something like Acronis True Image. Acronis will also "image" your drive, but imaging takes longer and longer to restore.

If you archive data, good idea to make backup copy(s) of the data onto something like external USB SSD. Even with a catastrophic SSD failure or corruption, you could be back up and current in < 2 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    #23     Jan 22, 2015
    nastazio151 likes this.
  4. JTrades

JTrades

A little off the original subject here...

When I used a desktop (not a laptop as I do these days) I used RAID 1. I found this to be the least hassle way to guard against loss of data due to corruption or hardware failure. (In addition I backed up remotely periodically.)

But a word of warning: a few years back I purchased two identical HDs from one of the main manufacturers. I gave one to a friend and kept one. About a year after purchase both drives failed due to a firmware bug, which meant they were both no longer recognised by the BIOS. It turned out to be a known bug that affected all drives of that particular model and firmware version. I sent them back to the manufacturer who applied a fix and received them back after a few days, both drives fully functional with all the original data intact.

Thankfully things worked out in that instance, however I now diversify my hardware.

#24     Jan 22, 2015
  5. Turveyd

Turveyd

I use www.carbonite.com sits in the background, backs everything up, lets me restore to different versions of files, cheap and very nice.

Downside, if I have to do a full restore of my data which is HUGE it takes days to recover, but hey it's cheap and hassle free :)

My stuff is kept on a portable hard drive and my laptop aswell, just incase.

House burns down or PC gets stolen, Raid 1 won't help ofcourse.

#25     Jan 22, 2015
  6. JTrades

JTrades

Yes, quite right. RAID isn't fire proof... or human error proof.

Leading causes of data loss:
    leading-causes-data-loss.png
    Hardware / system malfunction: 44%
    Human error: 32%
    Software corruption: 14%
    Viruses: 7%
    Natural disasters / fires: 3%

#26     Jan 22, 2015
  7. I use Acronis already for many years. Upgraded last year because SSD was not supported in my previous version. I clone my SSD. Can travel more easily with it because SSD is not so fragile as external HD. And smaller and lighter too. And faster!!!

#27     Jan 22, 2015
  8. Which version of Acronis do you have? I'm still using v11.0, from XP days.

#28     Jan 22, 2015
  9. Acronis True Image 2014. Worked before with some 2010 version I think. Use W7 Pro.

#29     Jan 22, 2015
  10. Interesting that v11.0 (earlier than 2010) would work with SSD but a later version would not. ??

#30     Jan 22, 2015