"Don't Defrag SSD In Widows" Wisdom is WRONG!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Jan 20, 2015.

1. It is not necessary to replace it every year. But I once had a big problem with a HD. It costed me so much money (could not trade for a few days), and so much problems to install everything again on a new HD that I decided to replace my SSD's every year. If i can prevent problems with spending a few 100 dollars I know what to do. My SSD helps me generate my income so he should always be ready to work. 1 day out of business costs me much much more than 1 SSD.

#11     Jan 20, 2015
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

If it's that important to you, raid 2 SSD's together in Mirror mode ??

1 fails, replace both and repeat.

Can't guarantee a brand new 1, won't generate a fault a week later.

#12     Jan 20, 2015
  3. Its an approach for the clueless. When something works, it's best to leave it alone. Replacing something works will risk introducing something that doesn't.

#13     Jan 20, 2015
  4. The problem is that it works..... till it does not work anymore. But when it does not work anymore you have a problem.
    With 200$ a year I am sure I will never have that problem. I know nothing about computers so for me this is the best solution. And no technician needed to fix my PC which also means nobody sees what is on my discs.
    When I go to my car dealer for periodic maintenance everything is always still working. So I should not go?
    I am probably one of the clueless.

#14     Jan 20, 2015
  5. Turveyd

Turveyd

It's fairly easy, you put 2 exactly the same SSD's in, on PC start up you go into HDD or Scsci options, set that to Mirror, install windows as standard or copy files over and if 1 SSD stops working, you won't even notice it, as your PC will still function.

It'll alert you on start up, 1 is dead, then it's time to renew both of them, but ZERO down time.

#15     Jan 20, 2015
  6. Not possible for me I think. I travel a lot and have identical computers on different places (different countries). I use only external SSD's. My PC's have no internal HD. I take my SSD with me every where and always have everywhere a completely up to date system. Just have to connect my SSD to the PC and start it up. Don't know if this is possible with raid.

#16     Jan 20, 2015
  7. Turveyd

Turveyd

Nope, don't think it is then if your running, in portable Win 8 mode.

I'd run 2 SSD's, every weekend backup 1 to the other, incase of theft I guess as SSD's should take a drop just fine.

#17     Jan 20, 2015
  8. The proper way to deal with disk risks is called backups. Those allow a pc to resume operation almost immediately.

I don't take my car to the dealer or garage. When I take it to government mandatory roadworthiness inspection, they couldn't believe how good a condition it is in. I am totally clued up on all kind of systems. I never fix it when it ain't broke.

#18     Jan 20, 2015
  9. Trader13

Trader13

It's been awhile since I've researched SSD's. Last time I checked, the reliability of these units had more of a dependency on the control board rather than the media itself. At that time, Intel had the most reliable drives because of their high quality chipset. Which brand is top dog in SSD reliability these days?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    #19     Jan 20, 2015