Does shale development make economic sense?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by OddTrader, Aug 5, 2014.

1. loyek590

loyek590

the finished product is diesel, which in my opinion is a lot cleaner than blowing off the top of a mountain to power a Tesla

#11     Aug 6, 2014
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

The finished Product is Crude Oil which you can use to make anything you make from Crude Oil, so Diesel, Petrol ( GAS if a yank ) also used for Plastics, Animal feed, fertaliser, Aviation Fuel, basically everything you can do with regular crude oil.

Digging for Lithium and Cobalt and all the other rare minerals to make Li-Ion batterys, all the processing off and then the strain on the power grid recharging say 50Kw per car over night, much much better!

#12     Aug 6, 2014
  3. Do you remember the stock market crash in 2008 and stock market crash of 1929? It looks like that we are following the same line again as the heading repeats stock market crash 2014. In 2008 when the great crisis hit America, the govt tried all to escape out of it. Over that time the govt had started to invest into the private sector and also had to borrow trillions of dollar to maintain the economy, but it was worse as the American govt had fallen into the great debt crisis. Again in 2014 the same issue is repeating. The govt are already in a great debt. How will they recover this time? Again the war in Iraq has began. Why? is it for the Oil crisis again? There are taking all the major steps to protect their economy even though the steps are wrong. Lets see what happens this time.

#13     Aug 11, 2014
  4. loyek590

loyek590

I don't have anything against nuclear other than the waste. It doesn't create much, but it is a problem. My opinion is, if you want to build a nuclear plant in your state, store the waste in your state. Don't create it in New York, and then turn Nevada into your dumping ground.

I was just watching Fareed Zakaria cnn Sunday morning, and they had a girl on there who has designed a nuclear energy system that eats it's own waste.

She claims in a Fukushima event it would have shut down within 3 hours instead of going into meltdown.

#14     Aug 17, 2014
  5. convexx

convexx

Reinventing the wheel. MSRs have been around since the 70's. The goal of greatly reducing actinide-waste for fission byproducts (300Y containment period). Oak Ridge built one years ago.

You would have to update NRC regs, and also regs on a state-by-state basis. You're talking 30Y of regs and testing, but it is the future. Also a need for better alloys. You can thank the Russians for their early work in MSRs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    #15     Aug 17, 2014
  6. loyek590

loyek590

I'm not very knowledgeable, what is the supply side like for the materials (I guess it is some kind of uranium, and you say also alloys) for nuclear reactors?

#16     Aug 17, 2014