Do You Think Trading is Gambling?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nysestocks, Jan 17, 2009.

Do You Think Trading is Gambling?

1. Yes

139 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. No

173 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. ElCubano

ElCubano

Pitt -5 is not gambling pitt -8 is....:eek:

#121     Jan 30, 2009
  2. never thought trading is a gambling activity.

trading is a business activity.

you need enough capital, skills of market timing/money mangement/risk management/cash flow efficiency, well-carried trading plan, experience, objective mental status, dsicipline, persistence, confidence, time.

the aim of this activity is to create profit or produce cash flow! not for fun or entainment.

if your purpose is for entainment, I would say that is gambling for sure!

#122     Jan 30, 2009
  3. Mr J

Mr J

I find it amusing that you jump on someone by suggesting that they don't know the definition, when you yourself do not know it. By definition, gambling is when one places a stake on an event with an uncertain outcome. That is it.

As for your second part, you seem to be under the impression that gambling cannot involve postive expectation. Well, you'd be wrong. Those who are successful and recognise that trading is gambling, continue to trade because they have a positive expectation.

This entire argument comes down to the fact that the majority of people don't understand the definition of 'gambling', which is understandable considering they will just assume the popular definition to be correct.

Both are, but holding -8 when -5 was available at some point proves it to be a horrible bet.

#123     Jan 30, 2009
  4. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Firstly I don't know everything, but neither do you.

Secondly, I have already blown an account in the past.

So what wouldn't you call gambling? An example please.

#124     Jan 30, 2009
  5. Jachyra

Jachyra

With all due respect sir, that simply is just not true. You were close though, but if you look in the dictionary you'll clearly see that the definition of gambling is when one places a stake on an event where the outcome is determined by "chance" ... not just that the outcome is unknown in advance.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gambling

gam⋅ble
       ˈgæmbəl / [gam-buhl]
    verb, -bled, -bling, noun
    –verb (used without object)

1. to play at any game of chance for money or other stakes.

2. to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance: to gamble on a toss of the dice.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chance

chance
       /tʃæns, tʃɑns/ [chans, chahns]
    noun, verb, chanced, chanc⋅ing, adjective
    –noun

1. the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled

2. luck or fortune: a game of chance.

Again, the outcome of ANY business transaction, with the exception of buying treasuries or sticking your money in a bank, is always unknown in advance. I doubt the average person would consider Donald Trump, or any businessman for that matter, a professional gambler simply because they are unable to predict with 100% certainty the exact outcome of their business transactions in advance.

#125     Jan 30, 2009
  6. The ultimate aim of trading is price discovery.

Trading in any market is essential for proper valuations.

Trading can be gambling for some people called impulsive or emotional traders. They too provide liquidity and money to the whole industry to function better. Gamblers are needed.

Actually, I am looking for some gamblers to make money from.

#126     Jan 30, 2009
  7. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

Exactly, and that is why so few make money worth talking about, same as in any other professional gambling activity!

#127     Jan 30, 2009
  8. Mr J

Mr J

But Jachyra, chance is a factor in all trades, apart from those that lock in a profit without risk ever existing (e.g. a true arbitrage).

As for the definition of chance, it just means that there is no certain outcome.

#128     Jan 30, 2009
  9. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

#129     Jan 30, 2009
  10. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

What one believes trading to be is just that - a personal conviction. Officially, trading is not classed as a gambling activity. If you disagree please feel free to drop a line to the SEC/CFTC or perhaps the FSA if you happen to live across the pond.

#130     Jan 30, 2009