Do large banks and institutions use TA to profit?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by londonkid, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Being good means u survive and churn out a lving. Being lucky mean u get rich.

Lots of delusion and inexperience on this thread.

#261     Oct 3, 2015
  2. Its called level 3.

#262     Oct 3, 2015
  3. You can legally buy access to data before its made public. I think thats one gray area.

#263     Oct 3, 2015
  4. Mtrader

Mtrader

You apparently can even not understand the difference between a joke and serious conversations.
    No wonder you cannot understand how to trade. We found what your problem is. Cannot be fixed unfortunatelly.

#264     Oct 3, 2015
  5. Mtrader

Mtrader

No, wrong. First of all, I never said my system prevents me from taking big moves. You put again, like always, words in people's mouth, they never said. Probably because of missing real arguments. Post here where I told I miss the big moves.

My system will tell me when to do what. And if a system is good it will show you how to take the big moves too. Friday long ES at 1891, and out at the close. Must admit this is a new record for me. No luck, just follow the system. And NO I will show or proof nothing. Doesn't make sense if people even put words in your mouth. Honest discussion and a minimum of respect for the counterparty is the first rule. And this rule is violated on ET every 2 postings.

Even with a modest capital friday would have made sense. 2600$ net after commission and slippage with 1 contract. Most people here probably don't make that in 1 month in salary after taxes.

I know what it is but you will never. Making ridiculous statements like you do will never change that.

#265     Oct 3, 2015
  6. Mtrader

Mtrader

Yes , I agree.
    Posters telling you can make killings while the poster is not trading at all and wiped out a fund. Lots of delusion and also a lot of unexperience proven.
    If I would be that poster I would start writing books and selling subscriptions to my fellow sufferers.

#266     Oct 3, 2015
  7. B1S2 says that the banks and institutions use bollinger bands.
    Maybe they use chart patterns and trendlines and stuff like the rest of us, but they somehow manage to make it work

#267     Oct 3, 2015
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

They also rely heavily on present atmospheric weather patterns and data to go with that past data information and then they make an "educated guess" about the future weather. Yes, they have a very high prediction accuracy.

How accurate are their prediction models...depending upon where you live in the world...it can be as high as 80% up to a 9 Day Forecast...accuracy begins dropping beyond 9 Days.

Note: I got the above info from last year when I helped one of my kids do a class project when we interviewed 3 different meteorologists from different countries.

It started me to think about things involving trading. Most retail traders using TA will put most of their use of TA on past data...while some put emphasis on current (real-time) data and some do both.

Makes me wonder if there's ever been any studies that compare TA based solely on historical data versus TA based solely on present (current/real-time) data. Something to think about.

Peter Brandt name has been used many times before in the past about these debates that banks, institutions, hedge funds do use TA as part of the decision process.

The bashers always dismissed him (an audited trader/manager) via the following reasons that I can remember in past debates:

1) His fund isn't large enough

2) His TA use was when he was a commodities trader and not as a Hedge Fund.

Note: Top institutions today still purchase his advice...some advice includes technical analysis. I heard about this several years back and then one day last year I was having lunch with an institutional trading friend in Paris...sitting on his desk was a private report from Peter Brandt...a report with lots of charts that his institutional trading firm subscribes to.

3) Its not TA because he doesn't use indicators.

4) He uses TA with other stuff.

5) They would never admit to using TA. Therefore, they don't use TA.

To the TA bashers, the earth is still flat. :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    #268     Oct 3, 2015
    d08 and Visaria like this.
  9. Visaria

Visaria

how clearer could it be?

http://peterlbrandt.com/factor-trading-plan/

Factor Trading Plan

The Factor Trading PlanFactor LLC* trades real proprietary capital in real markets in real time with real performance. The markets traded by Factor LLC include futures, forex, ETFs and stocks.

The Factor Trading Plan provides the theoretical construct for the proprietary trading activity of Factor LLC and is based primarily on classical charting principles as defined and described by Richard W. Schabacker (Technical Analysis and Stock Market Profits) and Robert Edwards and John Magee (Technical Analysis of Stock Trends).

#269     Oct 3, 2015
  10. Uhhh, his own site says he retired from trading public money 20 years ago, and now trades only his P/A...

"In May 1995, Peter retired from full-time involvement in the commodity business to pursue not-for-profit interests. He remained inactive from the commodity trading business until January 2007 when he once again began trading proprietary capital."

And his link "Click here to view Peter’s performance" returns "Performance data are not presently available"...

#270     Oct 3, 2015