Curved 34" monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitro, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I'm sure you would get a better viewing experience on the more expensive monitor if your computer was also high end and throwing some serious data streams down the pipeline with via those new connection types. But if your computer is a few years old, either of these monitors will be OK....... for now. But that's the problem, isn't it? The "now" quickly becomes yesterday, and then last year, and before you know it, everybody has a device with Thunderbolt 2 or USB 3. So it's a matter of whether you want to save money for now, or spend a little more in an effort to future proof your purchase for the next 3 - 5 years.

#21     Feb 22, 2016
    CBC likes this.
  2. nitro

nitro

Picture of setup?

#22     Feb 22, 2016
  3. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

Here you go Nitro.

Still got to sort the wires out.

PC is nothing special, i5 + 18GB Ram. SSD for fast booting. Wired keyboard + programmable mouse and also the Logitech G13 for programmable short cuts.

Software is Ensign for Windows which I love.

Dax is the middle monitor.

Charts are 1m, 5m and 20m.

Cable on the left with USD-GBP above.

EUR-AUD on the right with AUD-EUR above.

I like the reverse charts as I generally can spot long trades better than shorts.

1m monitor poles to hold the higher screens, the AOC monitor stands for the lower.

Desk is electic sit/stand. 1.8m wide, 0.8m depth.

Desk-01.JPG

#23     Feb 23, 2016
    kurros, Marvin Zark and Baron like this.
  4. CBC

CBC

Thats my dream setup abbot. I'l stick with my $200 netbook in the meantime.

#24     Feb 23, 2016
  5. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

Be careful with multi-monitors though. A trader should only have as many as he really needs and NO more. I have 6 because I was losing concentration flipping between the 5-6 markets I follow with 2-3 27" monitors. Now I can look and pontificate and keep track of everything a lot easier. Most of my trading is actually watching and waiting, no different from a hunter.

But if I was longer term trading I'd only have the one.

Ultimately the problem with many monitors is that your eyes get distracted and you can easily lose focus of where to look.

#25     Feb 23, 2016
  6. nitro

nitro

Very nice!

I am honing in on a setup, and the more I think about it the more I like my thinking. My new motto is simplicity. That leads me to the following setup.

An iMac 27" and an external 27 monitor to give me a dual monitor setup.

Since most of my stuff is logging in to a remote colocated server(s) and monitoring systems with DOM and a few charts, a large number of monitors is not as important. Ambiance is very important to me as I cannot work in a poorly thought out environment.

So this with an extra 27" monitor on an arm ontop facing down. Maybe two 25" monitors on each side in portrait mode for coding.

27imac.jpg

In this house

modular-home.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    #26     Feb 25, 2016
    Baron likes this.
  7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I'd recommend a macbook pro driving two 27" external monitors. That way, your setup isn't tied to the desktop. It will give you the freedom of unplugging the macbook pro and taking it wherever you want. And when you get back to your modern home on the water, you just plug the big monitors back in. :thumbsup:

#27     Feb 25, 2016
    nitro likes this.
  8. nitro

nitro

This is the reason I no longer buy apple notebooks. I can't stand the glossy display:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...e-laptop-displays-display-replacement-options

Don't know how close the moshi gets you to a matte screen

#28     Feb 25, 2016
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Yeah, but you should also consider that the 27" iMac and 27" external monitor you desire both have glossy screens as well. You can dramatically minimize the impact of the glossy screen by orienting yourself in the room so that you don't have windows or a major light source coming from behind you.

#29     Feb 25, 2016
  10. nitro

nitro

Almost by definition, a desktop is in an environment where one can control light hitting the screen. Not so with a latop.

True, if I only used the laptop at home there would be no difference, and I can put up with the glare when I use the choice of taking the laptop with me away from home. So it seems logical to buy the laptop instead. I am just angry apple no longer sells the matte screen. That's what happens when shareholders and average CEOs take over a great company.

#30     Feb 26, 2016