Credit Spread expiration

Discussion in 'Options' started by P_Cherry, Oct 17, 2014.

1. There is always a tradeoff between gamma and theta. Short term trade will have higher positive theta (good) but higher negative gamma (not good). Any big move - and your trade suffers significant loss. If there is a morning gap, nothing you can do to control the risk.

#11     Nov 15, 2014
  2. P_Cherry

P_Cherry

to RichardRimes: What if I am a day trader, see some support/resistance and want to profit from this neutral situation? Then the short daily spread seems to me better than weekly one...

to options_fanatic: If I build risky spread with 50:50 Risk/Reward accepting the whole risk...

#12     Nov 18, 2014
  3. It really depends on what you are trading....options futures are good to use for that purpose, sure if you want to make a day trade then selling a straddle may work nice...spreads just arn't cost effective/efficient IMO for day trading.

#13     Nov 18, 2014
  4. P_Cherry

P_Cherry

What do you mean by this Spread effectiveness, the poor Risk/Reward ratio (small premium)?
    Isn't the risk of short spread much more higher?

#14     Nov 18, 2014
  5. short spread=long spread....there is no greater risk in a short spread than long spread. It is all in how you manage it. What I'm trying to say is when you put on a spread (short or long) you have to buy two legs so the commission and/or slippage is greater than buying/selling a single strike. For day trading you want a fast execution and very little slippage and obviously less commission since you want in and out the same day...soooo just buying or selling a put/call will give you that. Of course the trade off is much higher margin and risk......

#15     Nov 18, 2014
  6. P_Cherry

P_Cherry

I´m very sorry I typed the word ,,spread'' instead of ,,straddle''. Of course I know ,,short spread=long spread''.
    The question should have been ,,Isn't the risk of selling short time straddle much more higher?''

I mean, to sell weekly straddle on Friday, instead of just credit spread. I get the double premium, but the gamma risk will be even bigger...

#16     Nov 19, 2014
  7. certainly it is...I was responding specifically to your thought that you wanted something neutral...IOW you didn't expect much change in the underlying...in that case why pick a direction..selling a straddle IS a neutral strat..you are not expecting much movement ...again perhaps not the best choice for a "day" trade, but certainly a short term..... few day trade near expiration the theta melts away.

#17     Nov 19, 2014