Contango is back

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, Jul 17, 2014.

1. That was my idea for my next trade.......

#31     Sep 11, 2014
  2. Question regarding Brent futures , from my understanding, this contract can have either cash/physical settlement. I was wondering how much of this is actually physical. Doesn't seem to be listed in the report section on ICE exchange...... Is there information available on this, or any idea on the kind of volume that is actually delivered on these contracts (If any at all)?

#32     Sep 11, 2014
  3. You can check the open interest at expiration of the contract to see how much is getting delivered. BFOE is delivered in increments of 600k bbl.

[​IMG]

#33     Sep 11, 2014
  4. I get how I could check that for a contract that is purely physical delivery (ie CL), but for a contract like Brent how can you tell if the contract was settled by Cash or Physical?

If I have a position in Brent going into expiration, this will be reflected in the Open interest, right? But if I choose to settle this via Cash, theres no physical delivery involved here. I was thinking that just by looking at OI, I wouldn't know what was being settled via Cash or Physical

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    #34     Sep 11, 2014
  5. I am not sure if there is a way to see physical/cash settlement numbers. I would ballpark by dividing the ending OI by 600 and always rounding down. You can expect the cargoes delivered to be around this number.

However, outside of comparing the production rates to the expiration OI, I don't know of a definitive way to check the cash/phys ratio.

#35     Sep 11, 2014
  6. #36     Sep 19, 2014
    TraDaToR and white_goodman like this.
  7. #37     Sep 19, 2014
  8. Right on time.

[​IMG]

#38     Sep 25, 2014
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

10. bone

bone

#40     Oct 9, 2014