Class Action Lawsuit against Seagate Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trader13, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Trader13

Trader13

I don't recall seeing other class action lawsuits against computer hardware manufacturers. I think most of us just chalk up hardware failures to the nature of the industry.

This lawsuit is a good thing, especially against a high-profile tier one provider like Seagate. It should scare other computer hardware vendors into placing more emphasis on their QA. The problems found with this particular line of Seagate drives should have been discovered before it left the factory.

http://www.techspot.com/news/63672-seagate-hit-class-action-lawsuit-over-defective-hard.html

d08 likes this.
  2. OptionGuru

OptionGuru

There was a recent class action lawsuit against the computer hardware manufacturers in Canada because they over-charged for the RAM going back 15 years or so.

Anybody could put in a claim and no proof of purchase was required - I submitted a claim and received $20.00.

:)

3. d08

d08

Seagate is the only manufacturer with ridiculous failure rates, they sell garbage. If you want reliability then stay away from them.

4. Trader13

Trader13

5. Magna

Magna Administrator

While I prefer Western Digital I've had very good luck with Seagate drives over the years. And this class action suit all revolves around their 3TB drives (which I've never used). Doesn't mean everything they manufacture sucks.

6. d08

d08

There have been many papers done on reliability and Seagate as a brand is way down in ranks. I haven't used the 3tb one either but even the smaller ones always had seeking issues and I've had at least one fail prematurely (and I don't buy many hard-drives).

Draw your own conclusions:

[​IMG]

7. What exactly have been broken in your case anyway ? Something like for example your Seagate or what really ? Cause I do not see your point by simply getting fun out of that. I still had my Samsung HDD, have heard good thing about SSD's as well.