Building a High End Trading PC - Help me out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philipjb, May 1, 2014.

1. I recently have a CPU/motherboard upgrade. I wanted a faster CPU with more memory. Here is a partial build-list (just the major components):

i7 4930K processor
    MSI Z87-G45 motherboard
    RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper DDR3 1866MHz
    PS: Antec, 700W I think
    Chasis: Antec 300

This process has a passmark rank of 13239, while i7 4960X = 14155. But the list price difference is almost $500. Hard to justify the price difference for such a small incremental speed I think.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

So I am happy with the performance. But bear in mind that... I suspect these CPU benchmark ratings are all done based on multi-thread computations. You need to check with your trading software vendor if their software is designed for multithread. e.g. TradeStation did not support multithread until 9.1, about 2 years ago, even though multithread technology has been around much longer than that. If your trading software does not support multithreading, you are SOL. Kind of like a 16-cylinder engine but only one cylinder will fire.

Note in the attached screenshot... i7 4930K processor, 16 threads, I got 16 instances of orchart.exe. Performance-wise it is nice.

[​IMG]

#11     May 2, 2014
  2. Great Thanks.
    Actually my work will be that i will be using the computer for trading purpose. Need it to be super fast, as currently i am trading from laptop. Macbook Pro.. and sometimes i feel the lag.. I get annoyed.
    Since i have about 50+ Safari Explorer Tabs opened.. I am multi-tasking person
    Than i have Excel and Word sheet open too.

So i need a machine that can handle all well and does not feels shortage of something.

I do understand the specs i mentioned in first post, looked quite high end, and some sort of expensive.. But i am ready to spend but not throw money! So please advise.

Thank You

#12     May 2, 2014
  3. just21

just21

The consensus in another thread was to buy a Xeon workstation from dell outlet store and upgrade it.

#13     May 2, 2014
  4. Your main concern should be that it all fits together. Here's what I tell people:

Start at your monitors. How many monitors?
    Now you can configure your graphics processors. How many GPU's will it take to push those monitors and do the connectors match?
    Now look at your motherboard. Does the mobo have enough of the proper size slots for all those GPU's?
    Now look at the CPU. Does the CPU fit the socket on the board?
    Now look at your power supply. Does the power supply have sufficient power (go online and get a PSU configuration calculator) and does it have sufficient quantity of the proper type of connectors for all that you have selected so far.
    Now pack as much RAM in there as you can afford. Everything runs in the RAM. Make sure the RAM fits the motherboard (DDR3 nnnn).
    Now find a case that fits that size motherboard, your hard drives, optical drives, etc.
    All that's left is fans; simple.

#14     May 2, 2014
  5. vicirek

vicirek

What is the total for this system? 4 - 5K? You will be using only up to 5% of its capabilities unless you run custom compute intensive programs that are designed for parallel execution and GPU computing.

For trading only with commercial platforms you will be fine with almost any machine with 2-4 cores, 8GB memory and two graphic cards for about $100 each or for few hundred bucks more you can get better components so your rig will last longer and be more stable. RAID configuration might not be the best solution but it is OK.

#15     May 2, 2014
  6. Thanks
    Actually i would be using this machine for multi-tasking.
    Running my trading platform continuously..
    As well using Internet with 50+ Tabs open
    Using Excel, Word same time.
    Maybe in free time, play a game on another set of monitor - or you think should create another PC for gaming?

So what do you say, whats best to go for?

#16     May 2, 2014
  7. I am looking to have around
    5-6 monitors

Now you think should built 2 machines?
    In one machine 3 monitors are attached, another machine another 2-3 monitors?

I would be doing multi-tasking, so would need fast machine, so nothing stucks..

Please advise what specs you suggest..

#17     May 2, 2014
  8. xandman

xandman

The Fatality gaming boards have some sort of network priority scheme for games.

Would that help for trading applications?

#18     May 2, 2014
  9. Doobs789

Doobs789

A Xeon workstation at a similar price won't offer noticeable performance over the i7. Not really worth the money, unless you get the higher end xeons, which would be overkill.

#19     May 2, 2014
  10. Doobs789

Doobs789

I have a similar system to your proposed build. I run six 24" Dell ultrasharps. I have two firepro 2460 cards (capable of running up to 8 screens). I dont do any gaming so those cards were fine. I am happy with the setup. Here is a pic

[​IMG]

#20     May 2, 2014