Brexit - The aftermath

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by OptionGuru, Jun 24, 2016.

1. yiehom

yiehom

My only regret is that I went to bed too early, as I thought there was to be no action before 4 am, yet the action started little after midnight my time.

#11     Jun 25, 2016
  2. Regrets and woulda/shoulda/coulda thoughts in hindsight trading are a complete waste of time. o_O:banghead:
    It's all about how you handle the present moment. in the heat of the battle. -- and hopefully, live to tell another tale.

#12     Jun 25, 2016
    OctopodeClub likes this.
  3. cBev

cBev

i have been looking into four holding companies for advertising. in particular publicis, since advertising companies can almost be used as a leading indicator for recessions, with talk of UK possibly heading into some GDP decline with the current brexit uncertainty - we would see drops in these companies first. (if the UK economy does indeed... drop...) thats my two cents

#13     Jun 25, 2016
  4. Oh, Come on , you did not take the poll that seriously (or you did not expect that to happen so there was an anticipation). As a result, you made a "decision to go to bed", so there should not be a regret cos there was a decision.

#14     Jun 25, 2016
  5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Percentage wise, it was the biggest one day win I have ever had. Maybe I was lucky, but I bought a boatload of FB $114 weekly puts @ $0.62 Thursday afternoon with the conviction to let em ride overnight. Well the trade headed south real fast in the last hour and I was pissed. But I said OK, Brexit is priced in, I'll at least get out with my skin because I knew FB would at the worst close at $114.50, so I could close out at 931AM and not lose the farm.

I did this for several reasons, and again, maybe I was lucky, but I just had a feeling Brexit was gonna happen. Silly as it sounds, and this was hyped by the media too... was the rain. Who votes? Old people. Come hell or high-water, they are gonna vote. Young people? Ahhhhh, maybe, maybe not. "We all thought it was a shoe in", or "my phone might get wet".
    And I also reasoned the whole Trump thing would overflow into the mindset of all the old Brits, especially the ones not in London, ie the rural areas so to speak. Well, luck or skill, thats how I traded it.

I was up all night watching the news feeds and had the BBC live results streaming. I was lovin life:D. The minute we opened for trading,.... I closed them bitches out for $2.65in anticipation of a pop, which happened and it was good timing on my part.

So I took a break, celebrated with a few bloody mary's, said wtf..... and strolled over to the pen of my favorite PIG.... nflx.... Oh and I caught the pop. I bought the $90 puts for $1.05. I knew time decay was gonna kill me on this one, but I also knew no one in their right mind was gonna buy NFLX on the day of the end of the world... 300 PE...and the sky is falling.... gimmeee a break . It worked out

I sold those for $1.50. So all in all ... it was a hell of a day.

Monday, who knows. My gut is to buy more NFLX puts on any pop. I know some of you might be dyed in the wool NFLX longs... and I respect that.... but I think its a big fat pig.

#15     Jun 26, 2016
    OctopodeClub likes this.
  6. Don't micro analyze this action guys. Better to miss a (possible but not likely) rally here. If not short, cash is good. Patience.

#16     Jun 27, 2016
    TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  7. Looking backwards I think most of the British people are already regret their choice.

#17     Jun 27, 2016
    d08 likes this.
  8. Jamie J.

Jamie J.

I am pretty sure that many of them don't still realize the seriousness of such a choice.

#18     Jun 27, 2016
  9. "...and I shorted the auto part stock while it was still up about 4.5% before the market closed on Thursday. The only regret I have is I intended to short much larger quantity. With Brexit, the stock value dropped about 4.5% and as much as 5.8% (just about the same value the previous day). Even though I might've cashed on the profit I missed earlier, I didn't close my position. I am hoping it would lose a lot more than that because of the low volume, low volatility and resistance level. I kept shorting and buying back the stock during the day in order to keep or push down the price a little further every time it was moving upward which seemed like working. If the support level doesn't change for the worse on Monday, I will probably get out of it because I have been watching some stocks for so long and want to buy but the price was never right."

I was right about the stock I mentioned in my earlier post above. The stock lost another 5.78% in value on Monday. There wasn't much price movement in the first 20 mints or so; in fact, (whoever that may be) was trying to push up the stock price in a weird way so I knew it was a b.s. move. What I did was, I placed multiple sale orders from three different trading accounts (I have two and another one is my bud's account which I manage). The stock that went up 3% in value after only 3000 shares were sold in the early hours, immediately started coming down, and then I kept placing new and more quantities for sale at lower prices which invited more sellers into the action. Within a few hours, the stock was being sold 3.5% down from Friday's closing value which is when I closed my large size short position. It was difficult to find sellers when I placed larger orders. I used the money to trade a couple other stocks (additional 6-7 trades per account) for quick returns before I created a long position in the same auto stock when it was 6% down and the stock closed the day 5.7% lower than Friday.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    #19     Jun 27, 2016
  10. benwm

benwm

You wish! I haven't any evidence of this. But I've seen lots of whining and histrionics from those that wanted to remain in the EU but lost the vote.

#20     Jun 27, 2016