Beyond the hype of hershey futures method journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by RoughTrader, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Here is my ES 5m so far.

RoughTrader

#201     Nov 5, 2007
  2. Specterx

Specterx

I just discovered this thread. It's encouraging to see that you can automate at least some of the major parts of SCT... RT, I would be very interested to know what progress you've made in the past six months, and where you're at now with regards to this effort.

#202     May 2, 2008
  3. I'm interested in hearing in what he has to say as well.

#203     May 3, 2008
  4. Clym

Clym

I have also developed automated channels based on my interpretation of the channels for building wealth document. I use volume to determine channels as you can see in the following youtube video

#204     May 3, 2008
  5. Specterx

Specterx

I am not interested in hearing from the usual SCT detractors. RT started this journal to evaluate and attempt to quantify SCT from an objective point of view, and I'm interested to see what conclusions he's reached.

#205     May 3, 2008
  6. I still use these channels to this day for high probability setups. I have never been able to use price, volume, and channels to 100% remove all uncertainty about the trajectory of future price. I personally believe that that is impossible.

Harvest what you can from the ideas of channels, they are actually very powerful. They are a more elegant representation of dynamic support and resistance, which IMO is all you need to trade.

RT

#206     May 3, 2008
  7. Specterx

Specterx

Very interesting. What chart software are you using? Also, I could be wrong but it looks to me like you're using volume or tick bars rather than time bars; did you find that this makes the system easier to code?

#207     May 3, 2008
  8. Specterx

Specterx

Good to hear from you. Is it that a properly-coded automated system based entirely on channels (the channels themselves being an interpretation of p/v) is consistently profitable while taking some losses, or do you find that channels are only suitable as a guide for manual trading... like every other strategy based on a single indicator, more or less?

In either case, I wonder if the application of more advanced concepts (DOM wall, STR/SQU) could be applied to improve the system's profitability by providing a finer view in areas of interest. STR/SQU is just a number and the DOM wall seems like something that could be very easily quantified, using a simple bid/ask ratio and comparing the rate of change in the bid/ask to trades on the T&S.

#208     May 3, 2008
  9. Clym

Clym

I should have mentioned that I sped up the video by a factor of ten due to youtube's time limitation. They are 5 minute bars. It's all VBA/Excel

#209     May 3, 2008