Best futures for relative newcomer in futures trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lojze, Mar 1, 2015.

1. A relative newcomer should be trading with little money and so getting the lowest cash risk is the most important factor I think.

I'd suggest the european VIX, VXX. Or if you want a US contract Corn or IMM Mexican pesos USD.

#11     Mar 2, 2015
  2. loyek590

loyek590

es vs ym spread is a cheap safe way to go, it ends up being a micro of the mini es

#12     Mar 2, 2015
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Horrible advice.

#13     Mar 2, 2015
  4. loyek590

loyek590

and why would you say that?

#14     Mar 2, 2015
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Learn to trade directionally and not some convoluted spread between 2 minis. This is a recipe for someone to attempt to be safe while choking off any profit potential. Get right.

#15     Mar 2, 2015
  6. loyek590

loyek590

no, it's simply a way to trade the size you should be trading instead of the size you think you can trade

without stops I might add

#16     Mar 2, 2015
  7. loyek590

loyek590

if you just put it on 1:1 it's never going to move enough one way or the other to make much difference, but the ES will lead because it has a higher value. After some observation you will realize you need to buy when it is low and sell when it is high. And that is why it is a great spread for an intro into futures trading.

#17     Mar 2, 2015
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

You've just made my point about it being a way to be safe. Here's what is more correct. Trade directionally with proper position sizing.

#18     Mar 2, 2015
  9. Handle123

Handle123

I would never recommend for a newbie to trade Emini ES, one of the toughest instruments on planet for inexperienced, If you must day trade, would start with Emini Nasdaq, $5 bucks a tick, much easier to cover your commish on each trade with one tick even on breakeven trades. ND trends better. But do sim trading till you can triple your account three times and three different accounts, then you have best change of trading with the sharks, otherwise you are bait.

If you doing stocks/ETF, I'd go with SPY.

#19     Mar 2, 2015
    fortydraws, i960, FCXoptions and 2 others like this.
  10. loyek590

loyek590

you aint big enough to trade es, you just think you are, and when it goes wrong, finally you can't take it anymore and you get stopped out at a loss. ES vs YM is directional, it's whatever you are es. If you are long ES and short YM you are long the market.

#20     Mar 2, 2015