Best Country for Trading (Tax efficiency)

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ET873, Feb 3, 2010.

1. So.. I am Dutch maybe I should move back to Holland? I live in Taiwan and I pay tax in Taiwan. I just started trading some stock this year. How does Taiwan tax trading? I know I should do my own due diligence, but I found all the information I found confusing. It looks like Taiwan just decided to no longer tax income from equity trading, but it looks like they mean income from equity traded in Taiwan. I started trading with a broker in the US and I only trade US stock. Anybody know what the deal is?

#531     May 29, 2016
  2. Good to hear from Taiwan.

May I ask a favour?

For commission in US brokers, easily found
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_brokerages_in_the_United_States

How about in Taiwan? Hope to know the Taiwan commission comparison for each online brokers.

#532     May 29, 2016
  3. Handle123

Handle123

There is paying less taxes and there is quality of life to consider. Some countries allow Dual citizenship.
    http://www.best-citizenships.com/dual-citizenship-countries.htm

Taxes are eventual in some way, and if you say bye bye to whatever country you leaving, will they arrest you if you come back?

Countries I have interest in are Costa Rica, Isle of Mann, and Switzerland . Better to try out living somewhere first before entertaining to live there. Some countries if they know you from USA, you might become be stolen for ransom.

#533     May 30, 2016
  4. I think your confusion is a result of asking the wrong question. Domestically, taxes are categorised by source, but foreign income is lumped together as 'foreign'.

What you are asking is what is the policy on taxes on foreign income for someone who is tax resident in a jurisdiction. Suddenly, it doesn't matter if it is trading or capital gains, it becomes the source.

Well, a quick search tells me you are not liable to tax as it is income from a foreign source.

http://www.bycpa.com/html/news/20131/1790.html

#534     May 30, 2016
  5. dealmaker

dealmaker

You sound like you have not traveled but just talking....

#535     May 30, 2016
  6. Together with the tax, let us think about commission for each country.
    Both adds up to expense.

[JoeAnonymous] Please answer the Taiwan question above.

Also I wonder the commission of China. (their stamp tax is 0.1% with NO income tax)
    I heard Taiwan used to charge stamp tax, but changed to income tax recently. Is it correct?

#536     May 30, 2016
  7. luisHK

luisHK

Joe, don't bother with the question above, I'm afraid JK still doesn't understand commissions paid depend on the broker used, which can be based in another country, and the transaction tax depends on the country where the traded products are listed rather than one's country of residence.
    What's so wrong with you Jk, does the confusion stem from capital controls in your country (Korea as I understood ?). Serious question here, although I know plenty of people living in countries where capital controls exist but they seem to have figured out how transaction tax and brokerage commissions work.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    #537     May 30, 2016
    d08 likes this.
  8. luisHK

luisHK

Besides I like Taipei, more than where i live actually or any other city in the area except Singapore, but thought one is taxed on their worldwide income there including capital gains.
    I'm glad to be wrong though.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    #538     May 30, 2016

9. Hope to compare Taiwan, China, Singapore, etc for their Commission+TransactionTax+IncomeTax.

If I heard correctly, Taiwan charges NO transaction tax and China charges NO Annual Income Tax for the profit from trading.

How about Japan and other countries? I heard UK is the worst country for their 0.5% transaction tax.

#539     May 30, 2016
  10. #540     May 30, 2016