Best Country for Trading (Tax efficiency)

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ET873, Feb 3, 2010.

1. luisHK

luisHK

Jakobsberg

I was in Helsinki again a couple of weeks ago and as usual, especially in the heat of summer over here, I wished I was in Scandinavia...
    I checked a while ago, prolly when you mentionned it, the investment scheme in Sweden (not so sure about the name) where one pays that little tax.
    It seemed to allow most financial products to be traded, including international derivatives but it was not clear which brokers one could use.
    Are international brokers allowed ?
    I'll have a hard time convincing the family to move that far north if we head back to Europe but I'm still curious...

#211     Jul 24, 2014
  2. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

luisHK - I dont know if Finland has something similar. For Sweden Nordnet and Avanza are the main brokers for trading. Since they are in the Swedish system they sort all the taxes out and you dont have to do anything. I have not looked into using anything other than a Swedish broker since I can do everything I need through them. Nordic markets are part of NasdaqOMX which is somehow linked to the main US Nasdaq so you can trade that cheaply.

For Avanza here is the pricelist (time for you to use google translate!)

https://www.avanza.se/prislista/premium/handel.html

You can put anything in an ISK account (options, certificates etc). Swedish banks often offer certificates with upto x15 leverage on popular stocks and indexes, e.g. apple, S&P etc which is normally the cheapest way to do it.

#212     Jul 24, 2014
  3. Hittfeld

Hittfeld

That sounds like the dutch system: They assume you earn an of 4% on your account and ask for a tax of 30% on these. So your actual taxation is 1.2% .

Kind Regards

#213     Jul 24, 2014
  4. luisHK

luisHK

Thanks Jakobsberg
    Brokers price don't seem competitive with IB for instance on international markets but tax wise it's sure a sweet deal.
    I haven't read of anything similar in Finland btw, Sweden seems to be the friendliest Scandinavian country to high net worth families, and visiting Stockholm it seems quite a few of them elected domicile there. Nice city.

#214     Jul 24, 2014
  5. there are ZERO ways of avoiding taxes as a us citizen that aren't either 1) illegal 2) convoluted/gray area/expensive. believe me, i've researched them. in depth.

#215     Mar 30, 2015
  6. dealmaker

dealmaker

If you are a US citizen and you live abroad legally TEN years you gain ex-pat status and you won't have to pay IRS....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    #216     Mar 30, 2015
  7. bawr

bawr

This is false.

#217     Mar 30, 2015
  8. dealmaker

dealmaker

Then I stand corrected....

#218     Mar 30, 2015
  9. Gueco

Gueco

are you complaining about the new andorran 10% income tax?
    what about the capital gains tax, thats still 0%.

#219     Mar 31, 2015
  10. Ditch

Ditch

What you are lookin for doesn't exist. Monaco has the advantage of being safe, as it has avoided the influx of third world scum, that happened in the rest of Western Europe. A lot of people are leaving the French Riviera, one of the most beautiful places on earth as it has been become a very unsafe place packed with backward people from tribal, medieval cultures. Same goes for London, Paris, Amsterdam, etc. As for long-term security about tax conditions. Don't count on governments being trustworthy. Ie in holland you pay 1.2% tax on capital gains, however politicians are beginning to get uncomfortable with that. I'm living in Holland right now, but I really don't know of a place, where you can have all pros and not the cons.

#220     Mar 31, 2015