Backup of PM's is garbled

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by bungrider, Sep 19, 2002.

1. For some reason, and I'm not on my usual machine this week, when i try to make a backup of my PM's, it spits out scrambled characters and not standard text characters...??

2. Looks like this....

‹xì½ys[W–åû¿"ôn²œ%)Kg L[2%Ò"m²Û©—Q¯ .IX˜ƒ(æ‹ÎÏÞ¿µö9÷²(SÙÝñºÞKf•Ew8Ã×Î×Ø=yÙ|ûz¯Øo¯zqxð²XZ^YùeãåÊÊns7¾Øl¬Íqk0éN»ÃA«·²²w¼ôìu›ÿÝÛÙ}öuó y¸÷ì»áxÖŸËÅëq÷}kZGådÒº('E»uön6*ÎÇÃ~±útyíéòêú×+Óî´Wê!§Í·‡{ÅôzT~3-?LWÎ&>~q²û¶øîÞ)Šóá`º|Þêw{×ÛEkÜmõþ\}<

3. using IE version 6.0.2600.0000

...if that helps...

thanks in adv baron

4. I discovered that PM backups seem to be compressed files. Try unzipping them.

Cheers,
    Traden4Alpha

5. How would I unzip the file? It spits the backup output into a new IE window.

Thanks for your help!

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I can't seem to reproduce the error. I use the same IE version as you do bung. hmmm

I do know that the problem is related to compression, as indicated above. The garbled characters usually happen when something gets compressed twice. I don't see where the second compression is coming from though.

7. One thing that is different about the machine I am using right now is that it doesn't have winzip installed, but rather AlZip, which is a much better program.

Maybe AlZip doesn't integrate as obnoxiously into the computer as winzip does...and doesn't automatically de-compress everything.

Could that be it? Is the compression a .zip format??

8. I named/renamed the file to have a .zip extension and that worked for me.

Good luck,
    Traden4Alpha

9. Compression my ass - it's Wolof, a Senegalese dialect and translates thus :

"Dear Bungrider,
    My uncle is the deposed President of Senegal and has access to $125 million in a joint bank account with ...(garbled)......."

10. LOL...I'll try the .zip thing tomorrow.

gotta go play now.

thx again,
    -b

#10     Sep 19, 2002