Backlash stirs in US against foreign worker visas

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by gwb-trading, Jul 6, 2014.

1. It looks to me that the US is becoming poorer and poorer because it wastes its money
    financing wars in the Middle East, instead of investing this money to improve the lives of Americans in the US.
    The question thus is:
    Are American politicians working for the interest of the Americans in the US ?

#31     Jul 6, 2014
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Enough with the wars. Wars and H1B visas have nothing in common. You are throwing in the middle east which has nothing to do with this conversation. Stay on topic. Please show me which "high skilled" jobs are leaving the US. The reason we are having this H1B visa backlash is BECAUSE we have a skilled labor shortage IN this country. It means we are bringing foreigners HERE to the US and actually paying them premium wages to work these jobs. We are not, as the OP stated, paying people 20k a year over seas instead of 80k here. We are actually paying people from overseas 100k a year to take jobs that Americans can't fill at 80k a year because we have an entire nation of either high school drop outs or art history majors. I don't know of a single corporation paying people over seas 20k a year for a high skilled job that we "could" fill here for 80k. I'm asking for facts here. Not innuendo, not political talking points, not stuff from 9/11 conspiracy sites. I want FACTS!!!!!!!!!!

#32     Jul 6, 2014
  3. lol.

#33     Jul 6, 2014
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

What I love about ET is the second you ask for facts, all the bullshit artists run and hide. I guess that is how you can shut everyone up, ask for facts. Smallstops, your amateur hour.

#34     Jul 6, 2014
  5. and when did you provide FACTS ?
    But of course the lower the intelligence, the more insults you can vomit.
    Move on, worthless piece of shit.
    your posts are degrading ET website.

#35     Jul 6, 2014
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

When you got nothing, you resort to ad hominem. Good job kid.

#36     Jul 6, 2014
  7. and what are you doing ?
    may be time to get retired to the "retirement home"?

#37     Jul 6, 2014
  8. Quality posters : please come back :)
    Just put the wasters on ignore.

#38     Jul 6, 2014
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Quote from the article posted on the first page:

"The top users of H-1B visas aren't even tech companies like Google and Facebook. Eight of the 10 biggest H1-B users last year were outsourcing firms that hire out thousands of mostly lower- and mid-level tech workers to corporate clients, according to an analysis of federal data by Ron Hira, an associate professor of public policy at Rochester Institute of Technology. The top 10 firms accounted for about a third of the H-1Bs allotted last year."

#39     Jul 6, 2014
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

http://www.informationweek.com/it-strategy/us-tech-worker-shortage-looms-study-warns/d/d-id/1104496?

"There is a significant gap between the kind of graduates the U.S. is producing and what the American economy needs today and in the future," said officials at the Partnership for A New American Economy, in a statement. "U.S. companies are hungry for talent with degrees in STEM [Science, Technology, Math, and Engineering]--these jobs are increasing three times faster than jobs in the rest of the economy. However, these positions are the hardest to fill because of the dearth of native-born Americans with these degrees."

The group's study, provocatively titled "Not Coming To America," said that only 4.4% of U.S.-born undergraduates are enrolled in STEM programs. That compares poorly with 33.9% for students in Singapore, 31.2% for those in China, 12.4% for Germany, and 6.1% in the U.K. As a result, the U.S. will face a shortage of 224,000 hi-tech workers by 2018, the study says.

#40     Jul 6, 2014