Automated Trading - FAQs

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Alpha Trader, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Hey autotraders,

The Q for those who experienced.

If,for e.g, i`ll want to trade several different strategies and in the same instrument,do i need several accounts/brokers for that.How do i sort the issue out?

Thanks in advance.

#131     Sep 11, 2014
  2. garachen

garachen

Easiest way is to request a block of sub accounts. It's not a real account from your broker's perspective - more like just a number to tag your strategies with for accounting purposes.

#132     Sep 12, 2014
    Brahmastra likes this.
  3. Thanks for your reply.

Should i contact someone special?The support,normally,is not that techie savvy.

#133     Sep 12, 2014
  4. garachen

garachen

Depends on who you clear through. When I used to do this method I contacted my sales guy and he gave me a block of about 100 sub accounts. I'm not positive that someone like IB would do it. But it's pretty standard elsewhere as a decent way to isolate strategies and their PNL.

#134     Sep 12, 2014
    Brahmastra likes this.
  5. Lol, that is NOT what Bjarne Stroustrup said. There is a series that is titled "The 5 Programming Languages You Need to Know". They ask many different developers and visionaries. But if you listen to the webcast then you notice Bjarne does not say you need to know 5 languages, though he said focusing on 1-2 languages inevitably leads to delving into other languages. Interestingly he explicitly pointed out C# as well...

#135     Sep 12, 2014
  6. Why not anymore?Have you come up with something universal,if i can call it that way?

#136     Sep 12, 2014
  7. garachen

garachen

3 reasons:
    moving trades between accounts - to net or flatten - required a phone call or email to the broker
    one exchange (minor one) decided to stop aggregating volume for rebates
    I add strategies at a rate of about 5 per day

So it became necessary to implement my own tracking system. There are lots of reasons why this is extremely difficult. It added about 20,000 lines of code. So don't go there if you aren't forced to.

#137     Sep 12, 2014
  8. i) Would I be correct in saying that these are simple strategies if you are coming up with so many?

ii) How many strategies do you operate?

iii) How successful (% wise) are these strategies when implemented via an algo. Do they perform better or worse as opposed to trading these strategies manually?

iv) Do you back-test these strategies before putting them out or do you forward test them and then tweak as required?

#138     Sep 12, 2014

9. Thanks for the insightful posts on this thread.

Considering most people on this site are retail traders, I was wondering what your gut feel is on algo trading for typical retail traders who trade through a broker such as IB. Earlier on in the thread you emphasized the value of execution/fees/relationships and I assume some of this would be very difficult for a retail trader to improve upon unless they were doing a lot more volume and had access to better execution/clearing options. Just wondering if you can quantify how big of a factor you think this is. What percentage of profitable algos have you come across where executing on IB just wouldn't cut it?

#139     Sep 12, 2014
    Alpha Trader likes this.
  10. garachen

garachen

The idea of the strategy is usually simple. The implementation is fairly complicated. New strategies are generally variations on a theme or different parameters applied to a new market.

I run about 20 strategy types (out of about 100 programed). Total implementation of 1,600 running strats.

Most of them cannot be traded manually. Some could but with difficulty. They look at market microstructure events that you can't necessarily see. Manual trading is better for different scenarios. On average, they (total) trade about 1 contract per sec. for 24 hours. Can't really do that manually.

Both back and forward testing.

#140     Sep 12, 2014