Arguments Against Raising Minimum Wage Don't Hold up

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dbphoenix, Aug 29, 2014.

1. The poor things felt neglected. LOL. A sweatshop environment. These nitwits don't know what a sweatshop is. I worked at McD for 90 cents an hour back in 68. Can't remember whether I felt neglected or not. I do know I never expected to realize total self worth flipping burgers and never really considered it a "career opportunity". My advice to these people would be to go learn a skill beyond wrapping a f'n burrito.

A Chipotle location in State College, Pennsylvania was forced to temporarily close today after workers walked off the job, announcing their departure with a provocative sign in the restaurant window. As StateCollege.com reports, employees at the location near Penn State University announced the closure by writing: "Want to know why we are closed? Ask our corporate offices why their employees are forced to work in borderline sweatshop conditions."

The note asserts that "almost the entire management and crew have resigned," urging readers to Tweet "awareness" of the subpar working conditions. In an interview with Onward State, a former manager reveals more details surrounding the shutter: He claims that four managers have quit in the past two days, with one more employee submitting their resignation before the sign went up.
    The now-former manager, Brian Healy, tells Onward State he's the one responsible for the sign, saying: "We just felt neglected... I'm not trying to take down the Chipotle corporation, I just want to see people treated better

#131     Sep 11, 2014
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Today's "working poor" have no idea how well off they really are compared to many others around the world.
    Both today and in the not too distant past.

Not that long ago min wage shit jobs were merely stepping stone jobs until education or skills could be acquired for a real job. You have to be incredibly lazy stupid or naive to think any min wage job is a career.

#132     Sep 11, 2014
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

"nobody dies a virgin....life fucks us all over"

#133     Sep 11, 2014
  4. Isn't that a big chunk of the parasite class, Odumbo voter?

Years ago, a minimum wage earner got fed up with the work and pay.. and decided to do something to improve his lot in life.

Seems a lot less so these days.

:(

#134     Sep 11, 2014
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

And your grandfathers plowed the north 40 with the jawbone of an ass then walked to school ten miles through the snow carrying their lunch in a lard bucket.

Boo hoo

#135     Sep 11, 2014
  6. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I suspect some of them feel entitled to a higher minimum wage. I mean it's easier to whine about how downtrodden they are working at a fast food joint than to develop better and more marketable job skills, either through further education or a training program. And remember ... many of these lower paid workers are already getting government assistance, whether it be food stamps, section 8 housing or from a number of other programs ... so they have an 'entitlement' mentality. Thus, they are entitled to $15 an hour for unskilled labor, right? LOL

#136     Sep 11, 2014
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

BINGO!

#137     Sep 11, 2014
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

You've hit the nail on the head! They're arguing for $15 an hour to flip a burger because they are admitting to themselves that is all they'll ever be, and they just want more money for doing it.

Those that are flipping burgers going "Yeah, now I flip burgers, but in a year I'll manage this place, and in 3 I'll be the district manager" don't give a shit about the minimum wage. They have vision and work ethic.

#138     Sep 11, 2014
  9. fhl

fhl

I've seen a few articles out recently predicting the next wave in the fast food industry is automation. Fast food workers that are out marching for higher wages can kiss their jobs goodbye just like gas station attendants who used to run out to the car to filler up and check the oil.

#139     Sep 12, 2014