All these worlds are yours, except Europa

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, May 31, 2015.

1. nitro

nitro

#51     Sep 27, 2016
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

#52     Sep 27, 2016
  3. nitro

nitro

proxima centauri B

#53     Oct 5, 2016
  4. nitro

nitro

I wanted to write a sci-fi story where, we have advanced to the stage where we can travel at 1/4 the speed of light. However, even at this speed getting to proxima centauri B would take at least 16 years.

But we have also advanced such that we are able to build cybernetic devices, and we can download our brain bits into the cybernetic devices. So we download out brain into a quantum mechanical hard disk, store our real body in a cryogenic tube on Earth. So setting off to PCb, not asleep, but on a hard disk where time does not really pass and cybernetic devices in charge for the trip. If emergency occurs (which it does ;-) ) we can temporarily upload the bits into the cybernetic being for realtime problem solving.

Upon arrival at PCb, we three-d print a body identical to my own (which is cryogenically stored back on Earth) from protein material and download our brain bits into it. Back on Earth, they realize that spooky action at a distance is possible to send information faster than light, so they have to warm my body back on Earth and download the backup bits into that body so as to communicate at faster than light speed with the "me" in PCb..!!!...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    #54     Oct 5, 2016
  5. nitro

nitro

One step closer to being self-sufficient on Mars. I don't know if the soil on Mars has the same nutrients as the Earth does, but notice this method uses no soil!

First farm to grow veg in a desert using only sun and seawater

[​IMG]
    Sundrop farm: no fossil fuels required to grow 180,000 tomato plants
    Sundrop

By Alice Klein

Sunshine and seawater. That’s all a new, futuristic-looking greenhouse needs to produce 17,000 tonnes of tomatoes per year in the South Australian desert.

It’s the first agricultural system of its kind in the world and uses no soil, pesticides, fossil fuels or groundwater. As the demand for fresh water and energy continues to rise, this might be the face of farming in the future.

An international team of scientists have spent the last six years fine-tuning the design – first with a pilot greenhouse built in 2010; then with a commercial-scale facility that began construction in 2014 and was officially launched today.

Read more: To green the deserts, just add… seawater?

How it works
    Seawater is piped 2 kilometres from the Spencer Gulf to Sundrop Farm – the 20-hectare site in the arid Port Augusta region. A solar-powered desalination plant removes the salt, creating enough fresh water to irrigate 180,000 tomato plants inside the greenhouse....

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2108296-first-farm-to-grow-veg-in-a-desert-using-only-sun-and-seawater/?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=ILC&utm_campaign=webpush&cmpid=ILC%7CNSNS%7C2016-GLOBAL-webpush-DESERT

#55     Oct 7, 2016
  6. nitro

nitro

Barack Obama: America will take the giant leap to Mars
    By Barack Obama

Updated 9:24 AM ET, Tue October 11, 2016

[​IMG]
    Story highlights
    • Barack Obama: Space program shows America's boundary-pushing curiosity. We do what's possible before anyone else
    • He says next step is to reach for Mars: learn to build new habitats that can sustain astronauts on long missions

Barack Obama is President of the United States.

(CNN)One of my earliest memories is sitting on my grandfather's shoulders, waving a flag as our astronauts returned to Hawaii. This was years before we'd set foot on the moon. Decades before we'd land a rover on Mars. A generation before photos from the International Space Station would show up in our social media feeds.

I still have the same sense of wonder about our space program that I did as a child. It represents an essential part of our character -- curiosity and exploration, innovation and ingenuity, pushing the boundaries of what's possible and doing it before anybody else. The space race we won not only contributed immeasurably important technological and medical advances, but it also inspired a new generation of scientists and engineers with the right stuff to keep America on the cutting edge.

[​IMG]

President Barack Obama

That's one of the reasons why, in my first address as President to the American people, I vowed to return science to its rightful place. In our first few months, my administration made the largest single investment in basic research in our history, and I went to the Kennedy Space Center to call for reimagining and reinvigorating our space program to explore more of our solar system and look deeper into the universe than ever...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/11/opinions/america-will-take-giant-leap-to-mars-barack-obama/index.html

#56     Oct 11, 2016
  7. nitro

nitro

I want to go to Mars. Too old though, they wouldn't take me :(

Want to go to Mars? Be prepared for irreversible damage to your brain

18 / 41
    [​IMG]
    Quartz

Akshat Rathi 7 hrs ago

[​IMG]
    © Provided by Quartz Keep dreaming.

You can’t go many days without someone talking about going to Mars. Just in the last few weeks: Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX, laid out his plans to sell tickets to the red planet for $200,000; Dennis Muilenburg, CEO of Boeing, vowed to get there before Musk; and US president Barack Obama reiterated his plans to send humans to Mars by 2030.

Before these fantasies become reality, there are many problems to overcome. One of them might be the most difficult: how to stop astronauts from suffering irreversible damage to brain functions that are crucial to completing a space mission?...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...le-damage-to-your-brain/ar-AAiTvMd?li=BBnbcA1

#57     Oct 16, 2016
  8. nitro

nitro

#58     Oct 21, 2016