Algo trading system gives 8371% profit in backtesting. Is it real?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Quanto, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Quanto

Quanto

SimpleMeLike likes this.
  2. maxinger

maxinger

Similar Q has been asked a few thousand times.

You can SEARCH for the answers.

Also You have to test it with real $$$$.

Similarly there are trading systems which yields 100% win rate.

upload_2024-1-12_21-19-26.jpeg

upload_2024-1-12_21-18-49.jpeg

MarkBrown likes this.
  3. Good Morning Quanto,

I have an algo trading system I built the other day that made 20,000% in one month in back test. And another that made 100,000% in back test.

Lol just kidding.

But here is my point. You have to run it live for a year or two to see if theory matches real time.

4. tsfx

tsfx

You scan for a strategy that matches a certain period of time in the past. How difficult is that? This activity is the main scamming method for subscriptions, lessons, EA marketing etc.

5. Quanto

Quanto

You mean curve-fitting? :)

6. tsfx

tsfx

probably that's the word yeah, english is not my native.

7. Quanto

Quanto

But the question is: did the guy apply such a dirty-trick to get that result?
    I can't believe he did, but I don't have time to check it; maybe some of you guys can do a deep analysis...

8. Occam

Occam

One major problem: it is a long-only strategy on AAPL, which returned 100,000% since 1993 (approximately 20 cents to $200, dividends reinvested). So this strategy actually vastly underperformed a buy-and-hodl strategy over the same period, and hence is totally worthless.

TrailerParkTed and newbunch like this.
  9. newbunch

newbunch

But it did it with less risk! :p

10. hilmy83

hilmy83

I like how article starts off "well, we're not going to use traditional systems like rsi/sma crossover"..
    then proceeded to using fuckng donchian channel as if it's such a revoutionary new strategy.

#10     Jan 12, 2024
    TrailerParkTed and newbunch like this.