Ag trade ideas

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, Aug 24, 2014.

1. TraD: Maybe I am not understanding what you are asking. For example, last week cattle traded in Kansas for $161.50. You might see a $1 to $2 difference in other areas, but not a $100 dollar difference. There is also the price of the cutout, which is somewhere around $250. That is essentially the carcass once the animal has been slaughtered, so those prices move differently. That may be what you are seeing. Let me know if that helps.

#351     Mar 9, 2015
    TraDaToR and FCXoptions like this.
  2. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Here is an excerpt from DTN news feed I receive :
    "Asking prices are undeveloped but likely to start near $163
    and higher in the South and $262 and higher in the North"
    ???

#352     Mar 9, 2015
  3. That must be a typo or they are referring to feeder, no way there is a $100 difference. If so I will be driving to the sale barn immediately to load up with some cows to drive up north LOL.

Google a state and then cattle sale barn prices. You should be able to find data on their recent auctions. Here is a link for TN. Not all of them detail weight with the price (just total price), but most should I believe.

http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/marketing/cattlesales6.shtml here is TN
    http://www.cattle.com/Markets/barn_report.aspx?code=NV_LS144

I have only skimmed this report, but you might find it beneficial for looking at several states. As of 3/6/15:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sj_ls850.txt

In other products, that ZM spread is doing nice today!

Edit (this is like my 20th edit to this post), I just checked that posting you referenced and have seen them do that multiple times. Every mention of North/South there seems to be a significant difference between the two. SO I have no clue to be honest.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    #353     Mar 9, 2015
    TraDaToR likes this.
  4. Yeah, that is definitely a typo.

#354     Mar 9, 2015
  5. Ok last post on this lol, couldn't figure out wtf the deal was but I think this explains it..

"What’s left of the cash cattle market has traded lower this week at $160 in the south with the north at $255-258 dressed before today" so for whatever reason they just say north (probably the location of most slaughterhouses), but that price is for dressed meat.

#355     Mar 9, 2015
    TraDaToR likes this.
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Yeah. That's what I was thinking but I didn't want to sound stupid.:rolleyes:

#356     Mar 9, 2015
  7. Yeah, I briefly got very excited thinking I was about to rent a semi and livestock trailer and start driving cows up north haha

#357     Mar 9, 2015
  8. Ok, so it was the cutout price. It was hard to discern that from the language used in the news bit.

#358     Mar 9, 2015
    FCXoptions likes this.
  9. Any thoughts before the WASDE report this morning?

#359     Mar 10, 2015
  10. I have no idea, I just hope it is positive news for this soymeal spread haha. That is all I am in currently in the ags.

Are you out of that wheat carry trade now?

#360     Mar 10, 2015