A guide to trading laptops on a budget

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarthSidious, Nov 4, 2015.

1. I'm considering buying this laptop now, instead of the MacBook Pro 15" laptop...and using a mouse. i like the keyboard layout of this...it has number keys on the right, MacBook doesn't...this is kind of an important feature for traders to input quickly.

and part of me wants to stick with Windows still -- i'm not really an Apple person.
    15" laptop is kind of small to use as a desktop PC replacement; but 17" is fine.

ASUS G751JT 17-Inch Gaming Laptop o_O
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NVV2B98?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A2KYIV02F0JSJ6

#11     Nov 5, 2015
  2. d08

d08

My advice would be to buy a laptop with a 14" screen or smaller and get an external screen.
    I've been carrying around a 15" one and it's a bit too big, 17" will be even worse.
    Besides, the 17" screen is too small anyway for daily usage, you need at least 22" of screen.

Gaming laptops never work properly because of GPU power usage under stress and heat problems in a cramped environment. It's much better to go for business class, better reliability.

I would get an external keyboard+mouse anyway, I'm shocked how many people use these TouchPads that are very cumbersome.

#12     Nov 5, 2015
  3. This. There is a price to pay for a gaming video card. Not just the money that you pay extra, but the heat & noise that you do not need. Plus the power usage is higher resulting in a shorter battery life. No trading software needs a souped up graphics display where 3D objects are constantly being manipulated. Then why get a powerful video card and all the problems that come with it?

#13     Nov 5, 2015
  4. d08

d08

The newest generation of Nvidia cards might be better (like the Asus lawrence wanted to get). I got a GTX 960 for my ITX desktop PC and it's the best card in a while as the fans are off when not running anything 3D heavy, the power usage is incredibly reasonable and it runs cooler than the CPU, which is very impressive.
    Of course gaming off a battery is still a terrible idea and laptops have very poor air circulation.

One other thing, my ITX desktop with monitor cost around $600 while that laptop is $1400 - if you shop around you can get a gaming/trading desktop PC and a laptop for that price. 2 devices mean you also have a backup if one fails, which can happen.

#14     Nov 5, 2015
  5. I like my Lenovos with a docking station a lot better than a desktop. I'm building some stuff that requires a high end soundcard however, going to have to break down and build a desktop. I hate those stupid things, so much wasted space inside the cabinets...

#15     Nov 5, 2015
  6. Do you guys do FatWallet? fatwallet.com
    20 - 30% off configurable laptops + 8% cash back from FatWallet
    http://www.fatwallet.com/HP-Home-coupons/

Try not to buy the SSD or the RAM upgrade from HP. They charge wayyyy too much. You can buy your upgrade from newegg and install it yourself

#16     Nov 5, 2015
  7. Something fancy from here? USB SoundCards

#17     Nov 5, 2015
  8. d08

d08

Get a miniITX case, the ITX mainboard doesn't have many slots but you can probably find one with a PCIe x1 slot. I would never buy a full-sized desktop case ever again - they're unnecessarily big (unless you plan on using more than 2 drives, of course). Plus, miniITX just looks much better.

#18     Nov 6, 2015
  9. tbillm

tbillm

#19     Nov 7, 2015
  10. tbillm

tbillm

sir where did you find your basic HP with a collection of some of these features??

#20     Nov 7, 2015