You can Eat Pasta and Still be Ripped

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

If you like to eat lasagne or spaghetti, but also strive for a body with as little fat as possible, then according to many food bloggers and health gurus you have a problem. "All those carbohydrates in pasta you will make you fat." But according to nutritional scientists at the University of Toronto, this is not the case. Yes, pasta is full of carbohydrates, the Canadians write in BMJ Open, but those carbohydrates have a low glycemic index.

Study
    The researchers collected 32 trials, in which test subjects ate pasta 3 times a week for an average of 12 weeks. Pasta has a low glycemic index, and the trials were designed to compare the effects of a diet with a low glycemic index with that of a diet with a high glycemic index.

More information about the trials can be found in the table below:

[​IMG]

The researchers compiled the results of the trials and analyzed them again.

Results
    Accoording to the meta-analysis a diet with pasta did not lead to a weight gain or an increase in fat mass. Although the data on points are not consistent [pasta caused a decrease in body weight, BMI and waist circumference, but had no effect on fat percentage] it could even be that pasta promotes weight loss a bit.

[​IMG]

"The study found that pasta didn't contribute to weight gain or increase in body fat," says research leader John Sievenpiper in a press release. [sciencedaily.com April 3, 2018] "In fact analysis actually showed a small weight loss. So contrary to concerns, perhaps pasta can be part of a healthy diet such as a low glycemic index diet."

Conclusions
    "In weighing the evidence, we can now say with some confidence that pasta does not have an adverse effect on body weight outcomes when it is consumed as part of a healthy dietary pattern", Sievenpiper says.

Source:
    BMJ Open. 2018 Apr 2;8(3):e019438.

2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

That's pretty interesting. A trial of a 32 for such study of such a liked and commonplace food is not convincing however. I think it's NutriSystem (I think) that uses the important sounding "glycemic index" in it's advertising. Just saying. And then there is the whole "processed" aspect, which can be mitigated, maybe eliminated with due diligence.

A nice plate full of CIOPPINO, with 2 small pieces of garlic bread cures my Italian bug, with no concern of excessive carbs. :)

3. [​IMG]

4. "Accoording to the meta-analysis a diet with pasta did not lead to a weight gain or an increase in fat mass. Although the data on points are not consistent [pasta caused a decrease in body weight, BMI and waist circumference, but had no effect on fat percentage] it could even be that pasta promotes weight loss a bit."

I stopped reading when I got to here and realized how hte study was bullshit. All subjects were subjected to calorie deficits despite pasta included in the diets which means this was smalllllll doses of pasta (we know how calorically dense pasta is and usual portions people eat.

The study even sasy that body weight went down (yeah...caloric deficit); BMI is useless, BUT NO EFFECT ON FAT PERCENTAGE...

hmmm so the people in caloric deficit ate pasta but lost water and some muscle on this wonderful pasta diet.

AND these supposedly smart people come to the conclusion that pasta PROMOTES weight loss a bit?

Wow how stupid are researchers now a days and how little competition is there for published works. Let's not overlook that a significant portion of the funding for this study came from the industry.... bias much?

I think this is how we have so much mis-information on nutrition and diets because researchers conduct statistically insignificant studies on small sample sets funded by biased grants and then make wide ranging generalizations.

5. Great news as I'm about to indulge in a plate of spaghetti and meatballs.

6. destriero

destriero

The only LBM-sparing "diet" is keto or using an uncoupler. So yeah, you can get ripped on sub-maintenance cals while losing muscle.

7. samuel11

samuel11

You crushed my dream :(

traderob likes this.
  8. Never let the dream die.... Prove me wrong

[​IMG]

9. Hey, I had been toying with the idea of using a similar picture as my avatar! In fact, I think mine is a bit more ripped:

Power Brain.jpg

It's all in the lighting.

You might as well go with whole grain pasta. It tastes just as good if not better, is a bit more filling because of the fiber, and probably has a slightly lower GI than regular pasta.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  10. jem

jem

When I eat one night of pasta I gain weight on the scale and I look fatter the next day. But I can get rid of it quick. It could simply be mostly water gain and my body wishes to return to my set weight range.

But, if I eat pasta and or pizza (for instance three out of 4 nights) I bust out of my plateau to the upside.

Its seems I am screwed for about a week of hard work just to get back where I was.

#10     Apr 12, 2018