You can be more than one thing in life

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Aug 25, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

You can be more than one thing in life: Charlene de Carvalho was a 47-year-old stay-at-home mother of five when her father died and left her the family business. Not a big deal until you realize that meant running Heineken, which employs 73,000+ people. Carvalho had 10 days to make a choice: continue living comfortably as a housewife or run the world’s No. 3 brewer with no prior business experience. She chose the latter, and she’s now one of the wealthiest women in the world. It’s never too late to reinvent yourself. Read the profile.

2. The key point of this story is rather that on average it is better to invest in a great business with mediocre management than a mediocre business with great management.

JSOP likes this.
  3. tomorton

tomorton

Great story.

I also like the other equally (in my opinion) valid moral - marry an heiress.

Turveyd likes this.
  4. dozu888

dozu888

yeas ago worked at Heineken's USA headquarters in White Plains... they knocked out the floor and built spiral stairs to the top floor bar, with gold plated hand rails.... employees get to buy 5 cases per month at $5 per.. they also gave me premium tickets to the US Open tennis... good times.

5. Nobert

Nobert

One of the things that stuck with me from the Tools of Titans - if you want to be the best at something, you might need to sacrifice much more that you're willing to and the ,,best part'' is, - success is not guaranteed.

(that's dumb trade, if RRR is so extremely low :sneaky:)

Meanwhile there is an alternative.

One can be - world class, at 2 - 3 fields, without dramatic choices.
    (doesn't mean, that you ain't gona need to put in the hours, hard work, research etc)

There is 3'rd way as well of non-ending search for shortcuts & buying lottery tickets. And when that doesn't work out at age of 40 :
    source.gif

fan27 likes this.
  6. ironchef

ironchef

You must have very high standards, she tripled revenue and stock price in a decade after taken over from her father and you call her mediocre?

7. Turveyd

Turveyd

Although I HATE BEER/LAGER with a passion, can't see how anyone can drink that nasty stuff ( Cider man or Baileys so sweet ), but I guess it's a pretty easy sell, like icecream to a fat person ( can't get enough )

I've been a computer programmer for 32years, definitely time to do something else :)

fan27 and Nobert like this.
  8. fan27

fan27

Good luck with that...you are likely "institutionalized" by this point :)

9. JSOP

JSOP

Heineken is no other beer. I am not a beer lover myself but Heineken is different.

10. JSOP

JSOP

She always had it in her it's just that she chose never to use it. Not all housewives are like that. She's able to do it because she's her father' daughter. If you put any other housewife in her position, they might not succeed.

#10     Aug 26, 2019