Wrong Candles on a 4h V1X chart in TWS. Is this a bug?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Nunsy, May 16, 2017.

1. Nunsy

Nunsy

Hello guys,

I am using a 4 hour chart, following the V1X (this is the German equivalent of the VIX), and it is showing me some weird candles.

(for your reference, the German markets are open from 9:00 to 17:30)

On a 4 hour chart, usually the candles I see are 9h 10h 14h, when looking into different stocks.
    This is true for the V1X as well, but the problem I am facing is that the chart shifts from showing candles with times 9-10-14, to times 9-13-17 on different days in this same chart.
    Here is a snapshot of what I mean:
    9-13-17-to-9-10-14.PNG

Here is the official info on V1X from IB TWS:
    V1X info.PNG

A 5 minute chart of the V1X looks this way:
    v1x 5 min.PNG
    Even on the 5 minute chart, there are some issues. As you can see above, the first candle for May-16th starts at 9:15, and ends at 17:30. On the previous day, May-15th, the first candle starts at 9:15, but ends at 17:25.

I don't know what is wrong with this thing, but believe me, when I add the V1X as a secondary underlying chart behind a stock, all sorts of issues start to arise. Candles width is never the same, missing candles altogether, empty spaces on the chart. This by itself messes up my other indicators, and all in all, it is unusable. So i stopped using it in conjunction on my other charts, and started looking at it on its own, but as you can see on the 4h chart, it still shows confusing candles/information.
    I cannot trust this at all like that.

Now I know that a 4h chart is kind off a weird choice, but that shouldn't matter, and I don't think that changing from one day to the other how it is represented on the chart is normal.

Can anyone of you please give me some reasoning behind this?
    How can I make it show the correct candles always the same?
    I've tried using the Chart Parameters Settings on the V1X and setting it to ignore daily time intervals, but that failed miserably. I've selected to keep the chart up-to-date. I've messed around with other parameters, but this weird candles keep appearing.
    I've also deleted the latest version of TWS, and installed an older "Stable" version (that currently being 963.3f), but that still didn't resolve anything.

Can any of you guys test a 4h candle chart on the TWS on the V1X (if you have the subscription) and see if this is the same by you, or only affects myself.
    Am i missing something?

Thank you in advance

2. Fonz

Fonz

I don't have the right subscription, so I tried with delayed quotes. Everything is fine. I checked the 4 hours and 5 min candles, and didn't see any problem that you described.
    I am not sure that helps.

My version of TWS:
    Build 964.1h, May 9, 2017 2:41:12 PM
    Jolt Build 1.7.4, Apr 12, 2017 03:18:55 PM
    Nia Build 2.13.2, Apr 21, 2017 01:45:09 PM
    ModelNav Build 1.5.2, Feb 20, 2017 12:07:41 PM
    Riskfeed Build 2.22.1, Feb 15, 2017 09:47:46 AM

Java Version: 1.8.0_60, OS: Windows 10 (amd64, 10.0), Memory:
    heap max 683Mb, current 288Mb.

Nunsy likes this.
  3. Nunsy

Nunsy

Thank you, It's still something.

4. Fonz

Fonz

5. Nunsy

Nunsy

Great suggestion. Thank you.
    I will definitely try it out.

I noticed that I am experiencing problems with candles on other stocks as well, when using the 4 hour candle view. It must be related with how the times are calculated and represented when on 4h.

I'll look into it with this software that you suggest, and see how it represents it.
    Keep you posted.