Would charting software be restrictive for me?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by drftr, Jan 18, 2021.

1. drftr

drftr Guest

Hi and thanks for reading my 1st post...

I'm in the process of deciding what platform to choose for rebuilding the backtests for my strategies in "something more structured than Excel" and expand the setup with at least live trading signals, and the possibility to later on move even further with live trading.

I create momentum based strategies using a couple of dozen ETFs and I open positions on a weekly base at best, but it's the position closing part that deserves the focus as it can be intraday. My strategies partly depend on propriety indicators for manual input and I also need the possibility to create user defined permanent tables for storing parameters, synthetically created leveraged historical data, etcetera.

The one thing I don't need (while most others do) is charts to base trades on. I plan to run everything as a set of scripts, functions, expressions, you name it, as I THINK that will lead to faster execution without clogging up resources. But since many of the platforms out there are chart-based I wonder if choosing such a setup would/could be a suboptimal situation for me, or at least one I would never benefit from.

I favour a cloud-based solution and so far I have tried to narrow down my choices to:

- QuantConnect
    - TradingView
    - MultiCharts.net

- Backtrader (using Pythonanywhere)
    - AmiBroker

Any thoughts about whether my concern is a valid one and/or even platform recommendations are highly appreciated.

Tnx...

drftr