Home > Community Lounge > Science and Technology > World could run out of food in 10 years

World could run out of food in 10 years

1. [​IMG]The world could be facing a food shortage sooner than we think.
    [​IMG]China’s appetite for meat will drive food demand. Picture: Tomohiro Ohsumi/BloombergSource:Supplied

2. But the climate cultists tell us death from climate change is imminent. Eat up, might as well die with a full belly. You end of the world types need a new game. Maybe aliens from some distant planet. That at least has some plausibility to it.

3. But of course when we start to have food shortages farmers respond to the demand signals. It takes 12 lbs of grain to produce a pound of beef. Sorry but the caloric content of 12 lbs of grain is significantly higher than a pound of beef, regardless of how you measure food. Farmers shift production to more cost vs calorie effective products long before we have mass worldwide starvation. And that doesn't even start to address the decline birth rate that !always accompanies reduced poverty, making the growth rate prediction used problematic as well.

5. The earth ran out of food a long time ago, organically the planet can only support 1billion people. Since then everything has been synthetically modified and automated to increase yield. How far can it go, necessity is the mother of invention, but the earth with balk at some point and given the weather patterns these days you can argue that process has already started.

6. Sure, food from the perspective of Big Agriculture. The truth is that a person can grow enough food to live on in a really small area using techniques from Square Foot Gardening... An Indian Tribe in a valley in Mexico was a million strong and they lived in an area that modern agriculture could only support 100,000...

7. In that case, we've nothing to fear from fake-o man made global warming. Thanks for the heads up!

8. Gobbledygook.

9. If sea-levels rise...won't there be more fish? :sneaky:

10. That logic is DEEP`
    [​IMG] o_O,

11. I'll always have enough food on the Doomstead.

12. %%

Gooble gook translation, i can grow enough organic apples for me; + family.BUT what they call manufactured food like sausage, i cant or wont grow enough sausage.AS far as rising sea levels not likely; but if so -that's more fish:D:cool:. But one old lady said ''dont tell me not to worry, most of the things i worried about NEVER happened !!'':D:D

13. Certainly would seem like. --There's a lot of good to short term warming. Proglibs think they can look at a few scant years of climate recording and derive something useful concerning long term evolution of the planet----THEY CANNOT

14. I remember hearing that 500 million is the perfect amount for the world population. Something about it gives everyone enough land to keep them stress free(something about people crowding together in cities being stressful or something) and it's a low enough population we can have cars and dirty energy and the world would be fine.

15. We are poisoning the oceans with our plastic waste. Already it has been found even in the Arctic plankton. From plankton it moves up the food chain causing cancer.............and so it will soon be unadvisable to eat seafood !!
    Yes it is a major problem but our useless world leaders insist on wasting resources on more weapons.

16. Stress isn't necessarily a bad thing, evidenced by a whole lot of people who live in cities because they like living in cities. For a big chunk of the world's population the sheer boredom of living in a low population density area would be a special kind of hell! Sounds like you were reading something from the same kind of people who don't think it's fair that the city folk have so much influence in politics when they represent "such a small portion" of their state geographically.

17. I think that is the number of serf/servants the world class elites want to have

18. The Georgia Guidestones ?

[​IMG]

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
    2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
    3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
    4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
    5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
    6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
    7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
    8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
    9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
    10. Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

19. Humans will adapt one way or another. It always has been and will be this way.

20. I see that many nations have signed an agreement in Kenya recently to try and cope with the plastic pollution in the oceans. That is a great step forward. Let's hope it is NOT just talk. We need action urgently.

21. A recent survey shows that ALL the shellfish around the coast of Britain are polluted with plastic.
    That means most of the rest of the world too probably.
    Killing off the animal life in the oceans is a terrible crime against humanity.