(With a Poll) To those who trade for living, how much trading capital did you start with ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderwald, Jul 30, 2020.

Those who trade for living, how much trading capital did you start with ?

1. $1k to $10k

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. $10k to $50k

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. $50k to $200k

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. $200k to $500k

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. $500k to $2m

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. > $2m

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Hi guys,

If you trade for a living, if possible, please let us know how much trading capital did you start trading with? This would be the amount that is the most you could assign to trading from all sources available to you when you started trading.

Thank you

2. Your question isn't clear ... I think you should have phrased your question " how much capital you trade with, to make a living. And that's subjective to living style.

If I am somewhere in south east asia, like Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia ... If i make $50K profit from trading, i will live like a king, with 100K profit from Trading, even you have family of several depandent, you will live like a king.

Trade for living VS Start trading with are two different thing.
    Losing traders usually have much much bigger account when they start, and Profitable traders usually have much smaller account wehn they start.

oshjdf likes this.
  3. You are correct TradeTune.

Hi guys,

Please aside from adding in the poll, please also add where you are so that we can understand based on expenses etc.

Thank you

4. If i'm not wrong , Thinking for realstic return you need 200K Trading capital to make 50K return, and 400K Trading capital to make 100K (if you don't want to use margin or play options).

That's kind of returns that Hedge funds do. ET Members who Picked first two options on this Poll are msotly blowing smoke

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  5. Dustin

Dustin

But most pro traders use margin and play options so....

6. bone

bone

This is really a somewhat worthless question IMHO.

If your intent is to start trading with no experience or validated trading system, and pay all of your bills and living expenses from said trading account - make it a really big one.

If you have a "day job" and don't have to draw money out of your trading account in order to pay for expenses - you can start with a quite modest amount of capital; typically what your broker or clearing firm require for your trading style and chosen instruments.

7. VicBee

VicBee

TradeTune you're off on a tangent. The question is very simple:. How much capital did you start trading with? It asks nothing about outcomes.

8. I won't advise quitting a full-time job until anyone has a million in the trading account.