Windows OEM vs Retail

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by alanack, Jan 8, 2014.

1. alanack

alanack

Hope this question is in the right forum - is there any reason NOT to buy the OEM version of Windows 7 or 8? I just read one post where someone said the OEM version is difficult if not impossible to reinstall. Thanks.

2. Bob111

Bob111

what exactly do you mean by OEM? one that comes with PC? shouldn't be be a problem to reinstall after proper backup.
    i build Pc for my son and bought a builder version of win7 from amazon. worked for me. it's always good to have it on DVD :)
    probably same for OEM

3. alanack

alanack

Newegg and others are selling OEM versions as well as the standard retail box version for Windows 7 and Windows 8. OEM copies are only supposed to be sold to people building a new PC from scratch. But of course people install these copies on Dells and other manufacturers PCs. These versions are quite a bit cheaper than the retail versions.

4. The OEM version of Windows is stated to be "tied to the mobo on which it is installed"... cannot be used on another machine.

The Retail version can be uninstalled from one machine and used on another.

5. alanack

alanack

Thanks. So no one thinks reinstalling might be a problem, that would be my main concern?

6. Bob111

Bob111

one more time-what do you mean by OEM? typically it mean that OS is ALREADY INSTALLED on Pc. again-typically this Pc comes with a set of dvds that customer would use to restore PC in case of any failure to original state. those dvds will not work,if you are try to install windows to any other PC.on latest laptops(and maybe some Pc's?) backup version of windows is already installed on hidden,separate partition, so customer can restore whole thing to original state in a matter of minutes without any dvd's. which one you have or planning to purchase? why not to ask at the place of purchase?

ps-even if you have last verions(builded into PC without any DVD's provided) both W7 and 8 (even XP) do have plenty of option to create a back up. you can use a USB stick or burn set of dvd's that you will use in case of the failure

7. Syprik

Syprik

I have purchased 4 individual OEM licenses from both Amazon and Microcenter for (2) trading and (2) personal computers. I bought from both of these sources:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Profe...eywords=Windows+7+Professional+SP1+64-bit+OEM

http://www.microcenter.com/product/361168/Windows_7_Professional_SP1_64-bit_OEM

I have reinstalled the operating system on at least two of the towers during a component refresh (new motherboard/processor/HD etc). For my research tower, I change components at least 1x per yr. Have used the same OEM license on 3 different reinstalls using different components. You will be just fine, get it done.

8. Bob111

Bob111

what is the difference between win 7 pro and home? i've used builders Home version that i also bought from amazon for about $90

9. alanack

alanack

Thanks, will do...

10. Bob111

Bob111

to make things clearer-during activation process windows will take a snapshot of the system components and will send it to MSFT. so-if you replace any major component-you might have to call MSFT to reactivate OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Product_Activation

#10     Jan 8, 2014