Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 (any reason to avoid 8.1) after this long

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by birdman, Mar 7, 2015.

1. birdman

birdman

Plan to buy a new cheap Dell this year. Still using an old Vostro with zero complaints - just building a detached office and outfitting it with something similar.

I'm an old guy that is slow to change anything. Will i benefit from ordering the new box with Windows 8.1 instead of the 7 i now use? Thanks!

2. xandman

xandman

The version of the Windows will not make a difference. Though, it may take some adjusting to the new look and feel of 8.1.

You can't go wrong with a Dell.

birdman likes this.
  3. JamesL

JamesL

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  4. i960

i960

I use both (and also OSX). As far as windows goes it does not matter as the core kernel and API is basically the same. The additional start menu and other metro type stuff is a win8 thing that can easily be disabled or just ignored when using things.

5. Zzoom

Zzoom

Caveat Emptor, even/especially* when it comes to buying a Dell.

*Delete as applicable to most recent experience.

lindq likes this.
  6. Windows 8 sucks. as most of the user reviews have said.
    stick to Windows 7.

Windows 8 feels so weird, or different, then all the previous generations of Windows. Windows 8 was made or designed for touch screens/tablets/phones. -- if you're using any of those devices...buy Android OS/devices instead (or Apple), not Windows.

Windows 7, Vista, XP, 98, 95....were all good...they all felt...so instantly natural. -- Win8 feels weird/diff

I recently bought a new Win8 laptop, to replace my old desktop XP PC. I returned it. I'm buying a Win7 desktop PC instead.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. W7 is still going to be good until at least 2020 for a trading machine. You can buy a used Dell Precision T3500 for $200-$300... suits your desire to buy a "cheap" (if not new) Dell, not to mention it being a significant step up from Vostro.

8. Dell "hater", huh?

9. Dell's newest workstation, Precision T5810, still comes with W7 as an option.

In case you don't know.... and while can't be said for all of Dells' lines... Precision Workstations are "5-Stars" all around... especially support.

10. birdman

birdman

Thanks to all! I almost always learn something when i ask questions :)

#10     Mar 8, 2015