Win 7... Win XP Mode?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Dec 29, 2010.

1. As we all know, W7 Pro runs "XP Mode", and W7 Home does not.

Have any of y'all found that you need the "XP Mode" for any of your programs? And if so, which ones?

TIA

2. idk, never used it, only run dual-boot (W7x64 & XPx64)

Just sent you a PM about this though

3. I have not found the need to run XP mode on 7 and I've had a 7 system running for a year now.

4. W7-64 has a "32-bit emulator", so should run the commercial programs just fine. Perhaps the XP Mode is for those using XP who wrote their own code for proprietary application... ??

5. I never ran Vista, but if I remember correctly, one of the shortcomings of Vista was program compatibility. Lots of stuff would not run on Vista - not even printers and the like. By putting the XP Mode in 7 they took the fear of compatibility out of their box of problems. It's been my experience it's not needed but it's nice to know it's there.

Yes the x64 has x32 program function. It's seemless when installing or running a program. If you ever ran Server2008x64 it's nearly identical although Server2008 give you more and smarter controls.

I think anyone who trades today owns a system that can handle x64. To take an old HDD (or new cheap one) and play with it on a weekend to get a feel for it should be an interesting experience.

6. Has anyone come out with a multiple RDP session hack yet for W7x64? (so you can have multiple users logged into remote desktop sessions at the same time)

7. I need the XP-Mode virtual machine in Windows 7; because, I have some old code in Borland C++ Builder 6. The compiler won't work correctly under Vista or Windows 7, but work fine in the XP virtual machine.

8. Yes, it's mostly for old, proprietary applications...
    Legacy code is very common in software development...
    Because it something works, why fix or replace it?

I have about 100,000 lines of code written over 25 years...
    Some of my overnight math routines were written in 1987...
    Of course, everything real-time is recent and current.

Because you run an actual, licensed copy of XP...
    In Win 7 Virtual Machine XP Mode...
    ANYTHING that will run on XP...
    Will now run forever on all future releases of Windows...
    This is truly brilliant on the part of MSFT.

#10     Dec 30, 2010