Why is my VIX call showing loss on increase, and profit on decline?

Discussion in 'Options' started by kmiklas, May 13, 2020.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

I bought one VIX Aug 18'20 CALL for about USD60 just to learn about VIX options.

I don't understand why it's acting like a put: its value decreases as the VIX rises, and increases as it falls. Shouldn't it be the other way? My break-even should be positive, based on the VIX value of when I bought it?

As the VIX falls away from my strike of 100, shouldn't it be worth less?

You can see the reddish break-even line in my chart below. If I go BELOW this line, the call value increases... it's acting like a put?!

I'm so confused. :confused:

vix_call.png

2. guru

guru

Atikon, jys78, KCalhoun and 1 other person like this.

3. Your strike is waaaaay out of the money at 100. Look at the VIX futures to see what I mean. You might be seeing random fluctuations but overall that strike option is not going anywhere because VX futures did not come close to 100 I believe even on the spike.

You do not learn how something works with a far far OTM option as they will not have realistic greeks or price movements.

NQurious, jys78 and kmiklas like this.
  4. With the strike and time you picked (Aug 100 Strike), the predominate influence on that option price is volatility, not delta -- look at your Vega on that position (and observe the IV change).

kmiklas likes this.
  5. kmiklas

kmiklas

Thanks everyone... I thought that maybe I sold it by mistake!

6. Pick a slightly OTM call and maybe paper trade using it a 2 month expiration.

NQurious likes this.
  7. destriero

destriero

I love this place!

8. Metamega

Metamega

Did you sell that option to him?

9. kmiklas

kmiklas

I see what could be a bug in TWS? For those with IB, does this happen for you?

1. View the VIX option chain
    2. Choose a strike price for a Call (say, 50), and click on the bid price to buy.
    3. Note how the order window defaults to "SELL"

Anyone else see this?

10. narafa

narafa

Your option value changes based on several factors, so the premium change you see is the net effect of all those (Delta, Vega and Theta being the 3 most influential ones). The P/L you see highly depends on your broker (IB) position valuation algorithm.

You also have to know that VIX Index options are European options (So they are priced differently from normal American options, though the BS model was devised for European options mainly).

Moreover, VIX Index options are cash settled against a VIX special opening quotation (SOQ) published on the day the VIX same month futures expires (In this case, 19-Aug morning).

The line shown in your chart shows your purchase price, below it, your position P/L should be negative irrespective of anything else and above it, your position is making money (Based on the quotations in the market of course)

Finally, the VIX options are even more complex & bizarre because they are priced throughout their lifetime based on the respective VIX future but settle against something else (VIX futures settle also against the SOQ on the expiry day). VIX Index is simply NOT the underlying here throughout the lifetime of the option.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    #10     May 13, 2020