why do peopel try to trade for 35 or 20 bucks a day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by limitupmike2, Feb 16, 2010.

1. GG1972

GG1972

#11     Feb 16, 2010
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

When I was struggling over the summer, posting P/L's of $24, $97, $36 a day, then wiping it all out again, somebody directed me to this thread, where Szeven started posting:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...age=6&highlight=trader p/l 2005&pagenumber=43

If I'm not mistaken he worked his way to a seven-figure income out of this "less than minimum wage" phase of his life. Nothing's more inspiring than watching someone progress from minimum wage to millionaire.

#12     Feb 16, 2010
  3. From the above link, I saw the following post from Szeven

WOW, Was it real?

#13     Feb 16, 2010
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

No. It was a joke. I remember that day. It was during a period when people were just posting stated numbers without blotters, so he did the same, but in an absurd way.

But he is truly one of the best ever. You can see that in his posts throughout the years.

I stopped posting because people don't want to see some chump go from 500/day to 50/day like I did. Things are turning around now, but I'm not going to post anything on the p/l thread until the #s are to the point where people want to see them.

But I still read the thread everyday just to see how folks are progressing. I've always known it's attainable, but it sure is nice to see new guys bust through the psychological walls that everyone of of us has had to deal with, regardless of the bucks they make.

#14     Feb 16, 2010
  5. spindr0

spindr0

Learning a skill that has the potential to make one a lot of money is a waste of time? Yep, you're right. You don't get it.

#15     Feb 16, 2010
  6. Maryblume

Maryblume

Agree, when starting out, you should only be paper trading. If you can't make money on paper, no way in hell you will make money once you throw in the emotional component. I admit that paper trading is not the same as trading w/ real money for that reason. But gotta start somewhere.

#16     Feb 16, 2010
  7. Ramp

Ramp

For some, when learning, trading small scale with 20 bucks on the line is more effective than sim trading.

If you think that an inexperienced trader should come out of the box hitting 100:1 leverage, you really don't have a clue.

The entire premise of your question is rather silly - do you really think someone would enter this career with a goal of $35 per day? Um no, they're working towards something bigger and a few will make it, many will not.

#17     Feb 16, 2010
  8. Bob111

Bob111

my avg. pnl is even smaller...about $4-8 per trade....sounds like a little..but..100-200 automated trades a day..and you are in top 5%..

#18     Feb 17, 2010

9. Actually disagree with you..

I believe other traders need to see people (you) posting small profits...it will boost their confidence ...and keeps the individual humble yet recognising they are a WINNER...

Don't worry about what people want to see...it only matters that you NEED to do it for YOU...

You get back in there and good luck....

NiN

#19     Feb 17, 2010
  10. Aww... I'm so flattered ET remembers me...

Everyone has to start somewhere, and it depends on where you start as well. Not everyone has a huge account to learn on, and in my case I started at a prop firm with a $50 stop out. Pretty tough to pull in 4 digits a day on a $50 stop out.

#20     Feb 17, 2010