Why be a Catholic bishop...?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by saxon, Feb 26, 2009.

1. saxon

saxon

When you could be an American politician.

Holocaust-denying British bishop makes apology

LONDON (Reuters) – A Roman Catholic bishop who caused an uproar by denying the scale of the Holocaust has apologized for his views in statements carried on a Catholic news agency website on Thursday.

Bishop Richard Williamson, a Briton, caused outrage by saying there were no gas chambers in the Nazi concentration camps and that no more than 300,000 Jews died in the Holocaust, rather than the widely accepted figure of six million.

"I can truthfully say that I regret having made such remarks, and that if I had known beforehand the full harm and hurt to which they would give rise, especially to the Church, but also to survivors and relatives of victims of injustice under the Third Reich, I would not have made them," Williamson said, according to the website of Zenit, a Catholic news agency.

"To all souls that took honest scandal from what I said, before God I apologize," he said.

He did not say in his apology whether he had changed his views.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090226...hop_apology;_ylt=Ap44Btcq8YA_f_522iVHHL5Z.3QA

2. I propose a moratorium on public apologies.

There apparently are armies of professional victims out there ready to seize on anything from a cartoon to some obscure bishop's opinions to some offhand comments by a politician and try to exploit it into a fund-raising opportunity. These media show trials and ritual public stonings are a prized part of PC nation, and anyone who participates is just legitimizing the spectacle.

My rule for public figures: If you say something, don't apologize, no matter how much they yell. You will never satisfy them. If you jumped off a building, they wouldn't be satisfied. So for the next Michael Richards, or Michael Phelps, just tell them to lighten up.

3. So you propose never feeling remorse for doing something hateful, spiteful, divisive, etc. and never standing up to take full responsibility for the sins the public makes...

How bloody Christian of you...

"My rule for public figures: If you say something, don't apologize, no matter how much they yell. You will never satisfy them. If you jumped off a building, they wouldn't be satisfied. So for the next Michael Richards, or Michael Phelps, just tell them to lighten up."

The public apology is not about changing the public, it is about confession in front of others you own sins.

There is a long tradition and philosophy as to why public confession is good for the soul...

I wouldn't expect you to understand the apology is about getting things right with God for the sin...something the present day right wingers don't focus in on. Since they believe they are saved no matter what, why apologize?

Just let the one time baptism wash away all and future sins, that way you can sin, sin, sin to win and never have to have a conscience...

4. saxon

saxon

Perhaps that would be refreshing. Better to remain silent than to issue worthless, insincere, politically motivated apologies.

They don't work well here on Earth, and they sure as hell aren't going to work in Heaven, come Judgement Day.

5. No need for me to apologize for you false claims, that's your job...

I am sorry that you have to try and employ false claims to get any traction in your vendetta witch hunt McCarthy style swift boating, but that is not an apology for something I have done wrong, that is simply and expression of pity for you.